Lots of Threads on Food -- but Royal Canin MEDIUM Puppy Food?

Hey Yall --- did a search before I posted this question, but I'm hoping that I can get some insite. I do believe that my pup is a picky eater! I mentioned earlier that I took him off of Puppy Chow and put him on Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul. I liked the ingredients of the food -- and for a while Rhett chomped it down along with some Bil-Jac because he LOOVED it too. Then he just stopped eating both of them. Totally stopped.

So I went on a desperate hunt for a different food. He hated Wellness (as in wouldn't eat it), he hated Eukunuba (as in wouldn't eat it), he hated Perfomance (as in wouldn't eat it), he hated Blue Buffalo (as in wouldn't eat it) but he LOVED Royal Canine. I only bought it because I got a free coupon from registering him with the AKC, and I do realize that it has corn in it as a prominent ingredient [first part of the ingredient list: Chicken meal, brown rice, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid), rice, corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp, chicken, natural chicken flavor].

So question is: Does anyone feed their dog Royal Canin? Has anyone heard horrid things about Royal Canin? Does anyone have a reasonable suggestion for a different food (I just tried Caniade and he hated it. Spit all those kibble pieces out and just ate the Royal Canin) or should I simply just keep him on what he's eating?

As an aside he is getting itchier again, but I can't figure out if its because he's dropping his coat or because of the food. Also sometimes it takes him hours to decide to finally eat the Royal Canin which isn't good for day's he goes off to puppy daycare (I don't want him there starving!). I'm in the mists of finding a new vet -- so yes a vet trip is in the works.

Thanks for the help!

Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Royal Canin recall from last year. Search result of Royal Canin lawsuits.
ooooo thats no good, no good at all. Now if I can only find something that the little guy will eat!
Thanks for the help and advice. I would have kept him on Chicken Soup had he not really, literally, stopped eating it (and I also think they were involved in the recall too -- I just found that out). I have a bag of Caniade that I just (as in yesterday) purchased -- but with the formula changes that other posters have noted I'm a touch worried about sticking with that brand (since it seems like even the loyalists for that brand are worried about the switch). I'm also being more careful about his treat intake -- and doing more with whole foods (approved fruits, vegies). I come from a long line of dog owners who just "owned" a dog --- holistic foods are a unknown with my family (a.k.a. they think I'm odd for not just feeding the puppy chow and giving him some table scraps) so this is new territory for me.

As far as exercise, I do believe that he is getting a good amount. He usually gets at least one good long walk a day (they have been a touch shorter since its bar studying crunch time for me) and at least once a week (usually more) he goes to a cage free doggy daycare to get in some socialization (as he is an only pet currently) and exercise. Also we have a large fenced in back yard with lots of room to roam, run, chase squirrels, and fetch toys. I've taken to doing some studying out there to make sure that he has adequate outdoor time.

The vet visit is more just for a check up, to check on the itchiness (is it because of the dead fur dropping or something more), and to schedule his neutering procedure.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service