I am trying to teach eero some tricks, and he's got many of the basics down (sit, stand, down, leave it, drop it, etc.) but he can't seem to get roll over. I usually tell him to go down and then start moving his treat up near his side to try to get him to follow but it just doesn't seem to work. Any advice? Also "bang" is *the* most amazing trick I've ever seen! I want eero to learn that!

Views: 228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I want to teach bang, too... I started off with "down", using a hand signal when I say it sharply (like I would 'bang') because I wanted him to learn the basic "down" command first. He loves to do this so much that he's starting to forget "sit" because he seems to enjoy hitting the ground with his belly as fast as he can... with little legs splayed behind him.

My next step will be saying 'bang' sharply and using the hand signal for "down".

Rolo - despite the name - doesn't roll-over either. Doesn't like to be on his back for ANY reason. In fact...it inspired his AKC name of "Baker's Dozen T. Rolover".

Sadie LOVES rolling over so much that she will do three in fast succession... more if there is more room, and if there are treats involved.

Maybe it's a girl/boy thing? Does anyone else notice their little girls rolling over more than their boys?
Strange! Eero is a down champ too.... maybe it's just preference.
Okey dokey....teach "bang" or "play dead" first. Take your treat close to the nose and use it to roll your dog onto his side. Then say "bang" and give the treat. Once he associates the word with the action, he'll repeat it.

"Roll over" is taught similarly. Use the treat at the nose, tightly, to roll him over following the treat. The trick to this is to stay tight to the nose and roll with the treat guiding the head so that the body follows. Some dogs just don't like this. It may be too submissive for them to start. But if you're patient, most dogs usually come around.

Good luck!
I agree with everyone else - rollover has to be done in stages. First, the lay down, then the turn of the head, and then the whole body will follow. If you use a clicker, or treat for each stage, eero will get it soon I bet. A good thing that worked for me is treating for the split second that they get the hang of it - then they start to understand what you mean.
My dogs never did the bang - but a friend of mine with an ACD trained her dog Skeena to do play dead, and also goes upstairs to get her slippers! amazing!
We did roll over for the first time tonight. It took a few times but she eventually got it. Of course she didn't do it when we got home, but that's okay.

We did exactly what you did. Down and start with the treat in front of the nose. move the treat to his side (his nose should follow), then accross the back (his nose should still be following), and he will eventually fall over to his side.

There are a bunch of tricks on this website:

www.loveyourdog.com/tricks2print.html
Update! Eero has managed roll over... but get this: he will only do it in the grass. We did it a number of times when playing outside, but when we came back inside, he refused to go onto his side or roll over. Curious pup!
He eventually will. Remember dogs don't generalize, so you have to teach him in different locations. Or...it could be the flooring. Seriously. I have a number of dogs in my classes who will roll over at home on the carpet but not on our cement floor. Be patient. You'll get there.
I have a bit of advice, after he lays and rolls, and starts to roll on his own be sure to never use lay down before rollover. My pup went through about a month of rolling over everytime I asked him to lay down! I had to re-teach him to lay down and it was harder with his new rolling-over stubborness.
My puppy is super anti-roll over. He knows down and I want to get him to his side for roll over and bang. I tried the food over the nose and to the side techniques, watched tons of videos on how to do it, but he does it only once every 20 trys, if even that. He learns every other trick super fast. Now I think he's refusing to do "down" because I might have "overtrained" him to roll over from down when he doesn't want to. Anyone else has a stubborn dog who doesn't like roll over (play dead) and overcame it? It's such a great trick I'd hate to miss it!!
It sounds like you have the right idea with roll over. It took Theo a long time to get it. Sometimes it would take 20 tries because he would keep popping up into a sit to try and get the treat. Make sure you go slowly and follow the shoulder.

Also, Theo will only roll one way. He'll roll left but not right. It's the strangest thing. So try going both ways and see if he prefers one maybe?
My daughter recently taught Sidney "bang". It is hilarious to see how dramatically he'll drop, when he's in a funny mood! Sometimes it takes several "shots" to get him to get down completely...it's like each shot takes him down just a little more...he's a crack up!
Oh I loved seeing Sidney do this trick! Your daughter must be a master trainer. Hehe. I would love to teach Theo this...all in good time...

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service