My 7 month old corgi makes it her mission to destroy any and all toys we buy for her. The only toy that is still fully intact is her Kong. I bought her a toy made of fire hose, she killed it. I bought her a tennis ball shaped like a crocodile, she ripped the legs off and then chewed a hole in the ball. Over the weekend we got her a rope with a hard plastic ring at the end and she chewed through through the rope!!

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions on toys that she will not destroy in 15 mins!?

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Arh..... the joy of teething :) My pups have chewed through 1 wooden puppy/baby gate, a corner of my kitchen baseboard, dry wall...etc. I think what worked for us is the Red Kong, we stuff it with peanut butter and ice, freeze it and that seem to occupy them for a while. Another "toy" that might last them a bit longer is those real bones with fillings in it at petsmart, I bought 3 and that was 3 years ago, I still have 1/3 of it left, the fillings are long gone tho. Anybody else have other suggestions?
thanks sam! We have stuffed the kong with PB i'll try freezing it too! I will keep an eye out for the real bones, since there is no petsmart in my area.
You're welcome, here's a link to the bone, just so you know what i'm refering to
Ah yes, aggressive chewers. I often stuff my kong with yogurt and some kibble. Keeps them most satisfied. I also order marrow bones from my meat counter each week. If your dog has a sensitive tummy this isnt a good choice. I freeze them and they chew for hours. Do remember that since this is fresh marrow it will spoil. If they are finished chewing I put it back in the fridge. They are only good for a few days. Keep in mind that any hard chew item give them an outlet to chew but chipping/cracking teeth is always possible. Some of the nylabone bones work well if your dog likes them.
My yard ys full of stuffed toy stuffing, and pieces of many other toys, and things Ruby and Macsen assumed were toys. Stuffed toys especially, we take bets on how long they will last. They usually tear up the stuffed toy and then just play with the squeaker.
yes, Bindi Is especially fond of ripping out squeakers!
One of our things to do is to sew the wrong squeekies into the wrong animals :)

The cow sounds like the lion and the lion sounds like the cow :D
I thought it was just my lil beast that destroyed all toys in a short amt of time!! I bought him a cute lil squeaky plastic pig, it lasted for maybe 10 mins, and he removed the foot. He once ate a good chunk of his pet bed - and um, green fluff isn't so pretty coming out the other end. Actually the best has got to be when I came home on lunch and discovered that his plastic duck was now decapitated - and I couldn't find the head ANYWHERE!!! As the vet said, "This too shall pass." I can only leave him with his "bad 'cuz" and his kong in his crate when I leave him. His blanket also looks like swiss cheese!!
haha. One night i fell asleep on the couch for maybe 20 mins and woke up to foam every where. She also ate her bed!!
I feel bad that she now has no bed, but she destroyed the one we bought her! She also chewed a hole in one of the carpets!
We no longer buy stuffed toys, because Ein likes to destroy them. The best toys are ones that can be destroyed. If you can't destroy it, what fun is it? lol.

Seriously, though: I didn't really mind Ein tearing his stuffed animals apart and spreading stuffing all over the house. It's easily cleaned up. We just started buying stuffed animals from thrift stores instead of expensive squeaky toys. But our lab, Tucker, likes to EAT the pieces of toy. A couple weeks after adopting Tucker, we banned stuffed animals from our house. Pull fabric out of a dog's butt is NOT fun.

Tennis balls get holes. Plastic balls get holes. Really with a dog that chews this much, the only thing you can do is buy super cheap toys, knowing that they'll need to be replaced quickly.

I have noticed that when rawhide is available for them to chew on, they eat their toys less.
My Corgi sounds like yours. We've found that stuffed animals are a waste of time & $$ as they get destroyed in less than 5 minutes. The best things we've found are Kongs, Cuz toys, Nylabones and Everlasting/Everlocking Treat Balls (go to dog.com and search for them). The Everlasting Treat Ball itself is virtually indestructable, and you can add the 'cookies' (Everlasting Treats). My dog mastered popping those out in about 5 minutes, so we bought the Everlocking Treats (edible nuts & bolt that screw into the ball). It keeps him busy and saves the wood in our house.
Lost so far, numerous flip flips, tennis shoes, outdoor furniture, carpet, low voltage lighting, cord on the vacuum cleaner, book and a belt.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service