I am looking to buy a life jacket and would like any input from folks who have purchased and used one for their corgi. So far I like the ruff wear vest the best but it is a little (alot, actually) out of my price range. Any other brands out there that you would recommend? Or not recommend??
Thanks, Liz

Views: 788

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the Ruffwear jackets are the nicest in terms of quality, but there are a lot of other options that are decent as well, and a lot less expensive!

Outward Hound makes a lifejacket, in two colors, and they're about half the price of the Ruffwear ones. Doggles also makes a lifejacket, with an interesting 'chin float' attachment that you can zip on or off depending on the dog. Personally, I think the Outward Hound tends to fit a lot more odd-sized dogs because of the way the straps are, and the back-hook is easily seen and sturdy enough to put a boat hook through and lift your dog from the water.

I cannot in all good faith recommend the chest floats I've seen at some of the boating stores. If the dog is exhausted, the dog ones do a good job of holding his/her chin above water, so they don't drown. Some of the boating ones keep the dog afloat, but if the dog gets exhausted, the animal may tip forward because the floatation points don't hold up the chest and flank of the animal.

Also, you can try a few of the sites that make gear for Search and Rescue dogs - there's a few float coats on those that work well, but usually, they're even more expensive than the Ruffwear ones.
I just bought this one for Bailey last week. including shipping came out to ONLy
$15 (- and he looks like the cutest thing in it! I'll post pictures tomorrow.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stearns-pet-flotation-ves...

It's actually pretty nice. Good enough for occasional use. i would recommend it.
Actually here's the picture (I was afraid I'd forget!). Bailey is 6 months old and 25 pounds - the life jacket is still big on him - hell grow into it. =)

Thanks for commenting. Your dog looks so cute in his jacket. I did purchase one locally made by Outward Hound that was about $20. I didn't see any like the one you have in our local shops. Here's a pic of my boy in his jacket.
how cute (i really like the orange)!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service