I have a 7 month old female corgi named Edie. She's all kinds of sweet and adorable but she recently is SO bossy and jealous. My dad has a older Jack Russel female and just got a Dachshund male who is a few months older than Miss Edie.

Edie has decided that she doesn't like us paying attention to the other dogs. At first, she would just kind of wiggle her way in between us but now she starts growling and/or kind of mouthing and poking at the other dogs to try to get them away. She's become pretty possessive. Sometimes she gets really mad and will go after them and we'll have to break up a fight.

The Jack Russel was queen of the pack until Edie came along and Edie has pretty much pushed her way to the top, probably because she's bigger than all of the dogs.

Is it normal for Corgis to be so jealous and bossy? I want to stop this before it really gets going because I don't want any of the pups to get hurt.

She loves other dogs and playing with them but it's mainly at home that we have this issue. I plan on signing her up for an obedience class soon, I'm just trying to pick the right place for us.

Any suggestions or advice?

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Corgis are notorius for being pushy and possessive. Add the fact that she has hit her "teenage" stage and is spreading her wings to see what is allowed and what is not. A training class can not come too soon for you. These behaviors need to be redirected immediately. Any displays toward the other dogs should be taken seriously and redirected before a fight occurs. In my home dog are allowed on the furniture as long as they are respectful toward the others. If one even "eyes" another they have to get down. Being aware of her trigger is half the battle. The rest is instituting rules to redirect the behavior "before" it becomes a problem. Many of these skills will be covered in a good obedience class.
The pack order of the house do change with age and new addition. It not normal for a younger pup to challenge and attempt to be the top dog, some succeed and some don't. Like Sam said, it is be in your best interest to attend an obedience class, years ago when we added Vienna to our family, her and Mocha did not get along in the beginning. Our trainer allowed us to bring mocha and the rest of the family along, so that we can all be on the same page and be consistent with our methods, it is well worth it. Plus you get to meet other dog breeds and socialize in a safe environment.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service