I've always heard that Corgis will eat until they explode, so if that's the case, I think my Corgi is broken!!! haha I will put food out for her & she won't touch it for hours... is that normal?? When we occasionally add some tasty stuff to her food (like broccoli or egg or rice) she will devour it, but with just her regular food (Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul), she'll eat it all, but it takes a while.

For instance, I will put food down when we wake up at 6:30am, she generally won't touch it before I leave & she gets crated (at 7:45am). Then she might eat it during lunch (my husband and I are home from 11:30-1:30 for lunch). But then dinner... I could put it down at 6pm & she won't touch it until 10pm!!

I guess it just seems odd... I'm not complaining... she weighs 25lbs, so that's good. I just wanted to get an idea if others noticed this as well... Thanks for any replies!!

Views: 823

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Both of our dogs free feed. We put out 2 servings of dog food every day, and they both eat when they're hungry. Both of our dogs are in good shape, neither is overweight (Roxy is 18 weeks old and weighs just under 13lbs, Oliver is normal size for his breed). Neither of them is picky about food at all, in fact, they inhale a treat like it's going out of style without even tasting it! Oliver has always been a light eater, so I guess he showed Roxy how it's done when she came home.
Lucy is 12 pounds at 16 weeks and looks kind of thin with a waist. Heard that is a good thing.

She tends to eat lots some meals and nothing at others. I figure she will eat when she's hungry. Since she first came home, I have measured her food and used it for trick training and she seems to really like that. She doesn't get too many treats. We do pick up the bowl after 15 minutes or so.

She likes it so much it seems like she won't eat if we don't actively work with her on learning tricks! For example, some mornings I am in a rush and want to just put the food down, but she ignores it unless I get her to do a few tricks and reward her from the kibble in the bowl. Then she gets started and sometimes eats the whole bowl slowly. She likes to get a kibble, flip it around and chase it!
My dog has always been a demand feeder. I put it out and he gets to it when he wants it. We've never had a weight problem, except when he spent 3 months with grandma and grandpa and got lots of treats and little exercise. He generally likes to eat when we are eating, which makes sense to me. When he was younger he would get up and eat in the night - a midnight snack!

I think whatever works for your dog is what you should do.
Molly has trained my stepmother into giving her extra goodies in her food. My stepmother is convinced that Molly won't eat without it. But when I feed her, all she gets is her dog food--she looks at it in disgust and walks away. She's trying to wait it out to get something better! When she gets hungry enough, she'll eat it.
i put out what chloe will get for the day and just let her eat when she wants, but because i measure what she is given she doesnt have the option of over eating. i have noticed though that she will not eat if i'm not home, and most of the time she just nibbles a little bit throughout the day. and she really likes playing with her food, she always tries to bury it, and i think i end up with more dog food under my couch than in her bowl.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service