My 3.5 month old puppy always seems to "play" on us. Not necessarily rough, though.

So, about 80% of the time when Kuma has a sqeaky toy, instead of tossing and tugging his toy while on the ground with us, he climbs up on our laps, gets comfortable (even though it doesn't look like it is) and chews on his toy like a happy and content little boy. This would last anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes depending on distractions. I completely adore it when he does this... however, I'm wondering if this may cause some attitude issues later on as he gets older (and bigger/heavier). I would be a bit sad if we had to discourage this behavior.

I have two discussion topics:

1. Are we giving him too much freedom to play on us as he pleases? He's not a very dominant puppy to begin with and is what I'd consider a mellow fellow for a corgi. By the way, we do try to use NILIF... is this an inappropriate place to implement this and if not, how would we go about using it here?

2. Does your corgi puppy/dog do this? Did your puppy do this and outgrow it?

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sidney does not get in our laps when he has a chew toy, so I guess he just prefers a little space. He does love the "blanket monster" game, where we waggle our hand around under a blanket. He loves to pounce like a cat on the "monster"! It's so cute. (He never jumps on our hands without the blanket, thankfully.)
I like the blanket monster game! Sometimes, we do a variation of that with Kuma. We get a sqeaky toy in hand, put a blanket over it then sqeak the toy. Kuma has so much fun with it, it's hilarious! We've also wrapped a sqeaky toy with his blanket, sqeak it and he goes on a mission to find where the noise is coming from! Gotta love our doggies!
What is NILIF?
"Nothing in Life is Free"
I'm sure you'll get some really thorough responses in just a few minutes. They'll be able to answer you much better than I can!
Currently I see no issues with what you describe. What may give you a sign it is developing in to a problem would be if he growls or snaps at you if you attempt to take the toy. I would start working with "give it" and take the toy, praise him and return it. Sounds to me like he has the best of both worlds, being with his people and playing with a toy.
Thanks, Sam. It's good to hear that his behavior currently has no problems. We've been working on "share" but with little progress. Gotta keep chugging along on that one!
Penelope does this quite often, she only does it when we sit on the floor to play with her though. Every now and then she is allowed sit on the couch with us if she "asks". She doesn't do it on the couch though. I think she just wants to be close to us sometimes.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service