George, my five month old Corgi is a lot bigger than Rosie was at that age. Are males typically bigger then females? Is there such a thing as a too fat puppy? I don't really think he is fat, he is just really stocky and sturdy. He looks like a tank. His mother was a normal size Corgi.

Views: 725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yep. Girls tend to be much smaller than males. Chloe is super tiny.
Yes, generally males are bigger. The size difference can also be attributed to genetics. The range in corgis size is quite large depending on the planning of the breedings. I know of adult corgis that range in size from as little as 14 lbs on up to 38. To know if he is at a good weight palpate his ribs. You should be able to feel them quite easily as if there were a light quilt covering them. Stand above him, do you see a waist? If neither of these are apparent I would guess him to be overweight. Many folks are so used to seeing overweight corgis they think that is a normal appearance. Obesity is a huge problem in the breed. Keeping them at a good weight lends to a longer and healthier life.
Heavier? YES, but not necessary bigger in size, Mocha is heavier than Vienna, but he has no "love handles", Vienna on the other hand have more love to give :) Fat takes up more space than muscle.
I am still a little skeptical on this one. My pup is male and the biggest in the litter, and at 20 weeks he is really tiny still compared to most others on this site. (he is just under 13 lbs). Some peoples seem to be 20-25 lbs at 6 months.
The Incredible Shrinking Corgi?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service