I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the discussion. So I figured I'd bring it up again!

I just called my vet to get an idea of what it will cost me to get Penny spayed. She's only 4 months old, but it's in the back of my mind because we've run into some financial issues lately. I only spoke to the receptionist (or whoever was answering the phone) and she quoted me $241. It seems like a lot (and kind of a random amount), but I wouldn't have any idea what it should cost.

So what has everyone here paid to get their corgi fixed? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember a previous thread on spay/neuter costs because I was amazed at the tremendously wide range of prices from different vets around the country. $241 seems very high. I would call back and ask for a breakdown of each charge: office visit, pre-anesthesia bloodwork, spay, pain medication, etc. to see what you are being charged for specifically. Ask if any of the costs/charges are optional. Sometimes the bloodwork is optional and I'd expect that to be approx $40-50. This bloodwork is a great thing to do as any problems showing up in bloodwork might affect anethesia. However modern anesthesia is very safe and 99% of dogs do great, bloodwork or not, so that may be one place you decide to cut to help on budget. You're the only one who can decide if it's worth it.

My regular vet matched the price of a local low-cost spay/neuter clinic (which essentially meant he had to waive his office-visit fee, plus discount the neuter price a bit). Never hurts to ask...my vet could have said no, but he was ok matching price. Charlie was neutered for $50. Since he had bloodwork when he had retained puppy teeth pulled (and had no problems with anethesia at that time), I opted not to do another bloodscreen.

Vets give a dog a pain killer that lasts about 24 hours after surgery as part of the standard procedure. Some vets (I would expect for the $241 your were quoted) prescribe several days of painkillers. I've heard of very few dogs who weren't bouncing around like normal the next day. In fact most of us try to figure out how to keep the dog still so it doesn't rip any stitches. You may be able to cut any additional charges by not taking the prescription for painkillers up front. If your dog seems to be in pain after surgery, you can always call back and purchase the painkillers only if you need them.

I looked at your profile to see where you are. Here is a list of low-cost spay/neuter clinic phone numbers in your area. You might call them and ask what's included, though it will be "just the basic" spaying with a 24 hour pain med. On a tight budget, it may be a good deal, or maybe your vet will match prices like mine did. http://www.pawprintsmagazine.com/spayneuter.htm
i just got my estimate on saturday and it was $297 +/- 15% which included the bloodwork. Bloodwork is not optional at my vet. But the cost includes meds, fluids, etc.
The SPCA does it for much cheaper... you should check out your local SPCA.
Our SPCA was only like $100 & they did great!!! Our vet quoted us close to $400!!!!
It really depends on the vet I just called two that are right down the road from each other and one told me 96.50 and the other told me 231. I never realized there would be such a difference!
I think it depends on the vet and where you live. I now live in a suburb of Dallas and my "country" vet is much cheaper that my former city vet or any of the 'in town' vets. It only cost $165 to spay my female and that included 1 night stay plus the cost of the HomeAgain. The bloodwork/office visit prior was $35.

You should look into your local SPCA or look for any low cost spay/neuter clinics.
This site lists all the low cost neuter/spay by state, read carefully, not all of them do dogs tho.
Thanks Sam.... that site is very helpful!
I would suggest getting a written estimate from your veterinarian that explains to you what the total cost covers so you know what they are charging for. The higher cost may include preanesthetic bloodwork and IV fluids during and after surgery. Those items can explain the difference in cost between some veterinarians and low-cost options which will not do the bloodwork and fluids. Also a spay surgery will cost more than a neuter as it is more involved.
Here in Southern Oregon my vet charges about $90.
Here's the previous thread on prices
Arthur got neutered today and it cost close to $400.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service