Our Frodo is 4 month old now. He is the cutest and we love him so much. However, there is one issues we really don't know how to deal with:
1. He always tries to put his teeth on our hands when we hug him. He was 2 months old when we got him and he was not like this at that time. But as he grows older, he tends to bite more and more. Now he is teething, and he tends to bite on our hands a lot when we hug him. We tried saying 'NO' or "ouch" loudly, and we even tried spanking him, but none of these worked. We started correcting his biting behavior from the very beginning, but it only seems getting worse. (He tries to bite only when we hug him.) We are desperately needing help and advice on this, because we feel this issue is separating Frodo from us. It feels so bad when you love your baby so much but can't hug him.

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dax has been like that since the day we brought him home. I've tried everything. Thump on the nose, holding his mouth shut for a second, squirting him with water, yelping and walking away, replacing my hand with a toy when he bites,everything...and nothing has worked. I just dont know what else to do. I know most of the time he's just mouthing but sometimes when I correct him he gets mad and really bites me. I mean not really hard but there is a noticeable difference. Its only if I have my hands near him though. He won't just run up and latch onto me. Not when he's really trying to bite me anyway. If you do find something that works I'd love to hear it!
Thank you, folks! For the difference between mouthing and biting, I think usually he is mouthing at first, and then if we correct him, he sometimes gets mad and starts to bite. CorgiMama, you brought up a good point. Correcting him may get him to associate hugging with correction. Now I even found that he is reluctant to come to us when we say 'come here'.
This is really frustrating, and I feel very bad. what should I do?
Corgi pups are cute and who doesnt want to hug one. Often times though they have pent up energy and are not open to the restraining feel that a hug gives. May advice would be to choose the most suitable times to hug. A good time would be after a good energy outlet and they are more likely to be mellow. A pup in play mode is far less likely to be receptive to hugs. Corgi pups go through several mouthy stages. What has always worked for me is a sound such as "ah ah" Occasionally I will grab a snout but flicking their nose or spanking them certainly offers no true training value. The spray bottle also offers an alternative. It is merely a redirection. Many pups at this age are exploring their world and much is done with their mouth. Remember no "hand wrestling" with them and have a good assortment of things for them to chew on. Good timing is imperative for the redirection. Good news is most grow out of this phase.
Just like children teeth puppies teeth. They NEED to chew, their gums are sore. The best thing you can do is give them items that they can chew on. Chew toys, frozen towels, anything that will help the pain and aid in the teething posses.

Don't take it personally, and NEVER take it out on the puppy. Like Sam said choose when is the best time for cuddles.
I know exactly how you feel and I've had many many scratches and bites, some serious, over the years. Many people will give you different suggestions. Look at each, then decide what will work best for you. What will you be able to do each and every time biting behavior comes up. Yes, each and every time! Mouthing and biting anything and everything is quite common during teething. Make sure he's got plenty of chewing and biting outlets at his disposal. (frozen stuffed kongs work great).
I
I'm not the first, nor will I be the last to say this, don't look for quick fixes. Frodo has to now learn that each and every time your hand touches him, it will be with kindness and love, not punishment. You'll have to work on regaining his trust. Don't despair, It's not as daunting as it sounds. Treats, can work magic. And no, you don't have to become a walking treat dispenser.

I encourage you to read Pat Miller's book, "The Power of Positive Dog Training" and learn from her experience and knowledge. In my experience, no one has presented positive reinforcement training in such an understandable way.

Finally, as Cesar would say, think "animal" first, "canine" second, and "breed/corgi" next, and lastly "Frodo". There's a lot of Cesar's methods I don't agree with, but I do agree that we all do harm to a truly special relationship with our corgis when we try to make them into "children". They are not, and we should revel in that and work to strengthen that bond every day. Teething only last a few month, but your responses will have longer implications, so make them positive in every way you can.
Lily does this to us. It is when we are playing with her and scratching her back. We have gotten to where we say NO firmly and stop playing with her, even so far as ignoring her when she does this. She does not like being ignored when we are out there, so she has eased up on it. It is probably teething, but with the three girls we have to be really careful.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service