I wanted to see what my fellow corgi owners can make of Tegan's UNBELIEVABLE amount of shedding!

Tegan and I just moved from Boulder, Colorado to Santa Monica, California. The climate/altitude is obviously VERY different in our new home town. Not only this, but he also has been inside a lot more than he ever was back home. We used to let him run around in a large run outside, where as here I have him in my small apartment. I take him out for walks, but when I am working/at school he is inside for long periods of time. He doesn't seem to mind this, he still seems like his happy self, but is this bad for him?

I also switched his dog food, which I realize all of this is a major stress to him... but I figure he needed to get all adapted. Like I sad, he acts completely the same, very happy and bubbly as usual... however he is shedding SO MUCH HAIR!

He went to the groomer today, they did a deshedding package on him with special shampoo, and the furminator... and he is still shedding. Not as bad by any means, mind you, but I would have thought this would have kept him from shedding for at least a few days?!

Ugh. How long do you think it will take him to get used to all these changes? I'm trying to be a good corgi momma and spend lots of time with him, making sure he is comfortable in his new environment.. but it's been a month and he is still shedding a crazy amount...

Also, would you suggest any certain food to me for his shedding? I can't spend a lot, I'm a lowly college student, but I want whats best for my baby.... : \ he has me worried.

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi MollyJo,
Welcome to the world of massive corgi shedding!!! Come join our group, Corgi Tuft Pluckers. There are also some older discussions about shedding on thei site. I would say, if he's not licking hiimself, or biting the hair off, it's probaly just "normal"shedding. (See pics on my page of piles of fur)
I don't recall him ever shedding this much, that's the only concern... he is itching and licking himself a little bit... but I could just be watching him acting like he normally does, just seeing it because of the close quarters we share for hours at a time now hahaha.

bleh.. corgi's are wonderful in every way.... so i suppose they had to have SOME kind of draw back, right? hahaha
Corgis (and other dogs and cats) can lose hair due to stress. The stress of moving and food change, as well as Tegan's exercise routine can all be stressors, obviously. He will adapt. If I may ask, what food change did you make? That can make a difference, as well.

Hang in there. Keep Tegan brushed out. If he's chewing on himself, find a good and natural spray that will help the itching. We use essential oils for itching and flea relief and it works very well.
I am sure that the climate has a lot to do with the amount of shedding- you just when from high altitude, cooler, arid weather to warmer, humid weather.

Even if he is a little stressed, don't worry and he won't worry as much either. Corgis and most other dogs are very attuned to our worries.

Make daily brushing a part of his daily routine, a little cuddling and petting and a little brushing. Before you know it, he will be back to his normal amount of shedding.
I hear you. I have to furbuster Butter every day for 1/2 hour, and we vacuum 1-2-3 times per day. He walks across the floor and hair drops. I stroke him about 10 minutes after I furbuster him (He looks great) and loads of hair in my hand. This has been going on the 3 weeks or so. I, too, am wondering when it will all end.

You really need to get a Furbuster or Furminator to help with the shedding and use it every day. Our breeder told us to bath him and it would speed it up but he is swimming and we scub him all over and see hair drift away in the ocean and he still keeps shedding!!!

I live in Canada so we have distinct seasons. It has been pretty hot for us the past few weeks (80's and plus). I am wondering if it is because it can be so cold in the winter that maybe he would grow an extra thick coat compared to Corgis in the South. Maybe that is why it is taking so long; maybe he has more hairs to shed. I know he looks like he has lost about 10 lbs. So myabe climate change does play a bigger role in amounts of shedding.

We can not believe the amount of hair he has shed. I owned a Siberian Husky, with a down undercoat and there wasn't shedding like this with season change. This is pretty much ruining us for getting another Corgi. Will it ever end!!!
hahahaa alright, so weather MUST be playing a large part in this. Tegan would be in his run until I got home from being out, when we lived in colorado... so this meant he was in his run when it was still getting down to 50ish degrees. He also grew a big coat when he would be out in the snow, i'm sure, so maybe this will all shed out... and then he won't grow it back as badly next year?

our apartment doesn't have AC so the temperature of the apartment should stay semi-stead year round.... hmmm i hope!

As far as food goes, he's eating crap LOL it's kibbles n bits. He seems to like it a lot more than his old food, he eats a lot more than he used to, but I am sure (by the price) that this is a little like feeding a kid french fries vs. mashed potatoes.. sure he likes them more, but it's not doing a lot for him! hahaha I don't want to change his feed again for a month or two though... I feel like I need to see if the hair stops after he sheds it all out.

Heck, I'm even shedding a lot with this move! hahahaha I noticed this morning in the shower... so maybe i should stop complaining ; ]
;)

Feed him the best that you can afford- again, don't stress! Unless your corgi is weird, I have yet to meet one that wasn't like Mikey- they'll eat anything! Check out the threads on food- there are some interesting websites that compare dog food.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service