I saw this on another corgi site and thought I'd pass it along for everyone. Those of you into the scientific explanations could perhaps explain it further for the rest of us science challenged people, like me.

DNA testing for DM is now available through the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA). Testing kit costs $65.00 and for some dogs over the age of 10, testing could be free, check the website for information. Results of the test would be documented by OFA and entered into their registration books. This way, when you talk to breeders in the future, you can ask if the parents have been cleared for DM as well as Von Willebrands (sp?).

Currently CERF (eye) and OFA (hips) testing results are registered and kept in OFA's database and you can check to see if your dogs parents were tested and the results of the test. Pretty cool and necessary if you're serious about breeding healthy pups.

I'm not sure if the genetic marker would mean that your corgi will definitely get the disease or if it only carries the marker and requires a double set (from both parents) in order to have the disease, perhaps dormant presently. That's where I'm hoping those more in the know will help explain. I'm not a scientist or geneticist or even anything close!

A concern I have is; will/could the information be used by pet insurance companies to preclude getting coverage for a "positive" dog? I know that my pet insurance company did not ask for Timmy's AKC# so it would be difficult to trace one corgi, I'm thinking. Hmmmmmm

I'm going to have Timmy tested. I want to know what his future might hold. Thank goodness I have health insurance on him and will care for him, no matter what. If you're interested in checking further, please go through the information available from the University of Missouri, through the OFA website. A lot of the money for this invaluable research came from the respective breed clubs, like the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America.

I'll keep everyone informed about the procedure and outcome of the test. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a negative result.

http://www.offa.org/dnatesting/

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please everyone, if you are planning on breeding, do this test first. My Yogi "seems" to have DM (it was a "rule out" disease and now we can test for it) and we are having a cart shipped to help him walk. This has been a sad experience for all of us and would like to see the debilitating disease wiped out. This is the best way to do so. Thanks, Virginia and Yogi

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service