I posted this on the Senior Group, but realized it would been seen by more people here. I am new here and thought I could get some feed back. Our corgi, "Cobi" has been epileptic for years and we have for the most part been able to control it with meds. Just a couple of emergencies where the seizures wouldn't stop without a visit to the ER. Now the Vet thinks he may have Lupus but won't know for sure without biopsy of nose. We don't really want to put him through that since he is 11 yrs old. So far we are treating it with steroids and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this disorder? Thanks for listening.

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gail, sorry I have no experience with Lupus in dogs. Best of luck to you and hope you can find an answer.
That is good to hear that the lupus didn't actually shorten the life of your dog, maybe this will be just a chronic thing for Cobi. The biopsy is to determine that it is definitely lupus. There are actually two types, one which primarily affects the nose, mouth, eyes etc., the most common, and the other that affects their whole system, joints etc. The Vet did take a slide and pressed it against his nose then looked at that under a microscope, she said it did show some evidence that would suggest lupus. There are also other meds to treat this with but the Vet doesn't like to put them on it unless she knows for sure with the biopsy. Drugs are also harsh so she doesn't know if Cobi would tolerate it because of his epilepsy meds and he is also on thyroid meds. So far he seems to be responding to the topical steriods, which we only use when it flares up.
No real experience with this, but I sure would like to understand the part about the biopsy of the nose. It sounds strange to me.
The biopsy would be to determine if it actually is lupus, and not just diagnosing visually. She won't prescribe other meds until she knows for sure. She did show us a picture in the medical book and it looks exactly like it.
Gail, I am so sorry about Cobi and the new diagnosis. Please keep us updated and I hope he continues to be stabilized.
Hi Gail, so sorry to hear of Cobi's health problems. I know nothing about either disease so can't commment. Just hope he can get the correct help soon. Joy
Joy,
Thanks for your comments. Cobi seems to be doing O.K. so far on just the topical steriods for the lupus, so hopefully that will be all that is necessary for managing the lupus symptoms. Gail
Hi Gail - so sorry to hear about Cobi's health problems. I had an epileptic dog many years ago, and she did well with the meds. I'm afraid I don't know anything about lupus. I hope you get the help you need and that you and Cobi stay happy for a long time!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service