We're going to get another corgi puppy (a tri male who we've named Dewey, I put a picture of him with this post if you want to see him) who is 2 months younger than Trevor (our current dog). I've read some things about littermate syndrome and I've gotten a little scared about this. The articles I've read said it can cause aggression, separation anxiety when the puppies are apart and make them more difficult to train among other things.
My mom says it will be okay since they will be separate for most of the time and Trevor and I have definitely bonded (in fact I think he has separation anxiety issues, but that's a different topic altogether) and they don't know each other. We plan on keeping Dewey in an exercise pen for most of the time and only letting them have brief supervised visits until we've had the new puppy for about a month. This would be my little sisters/my mother's dog (they're sharing) so they would be the ones taking care of it and not me (except a for a little bit).
So, my questions are would littermate syndrome be a problem for us? Is two months too close together for puppies? Trevor is 4 months and Dewey will be 2 in a couple of weeks. I've had Trevor for 2 months now. Could this have any impact (negative or positive) on either puppy?
Thanks,
India

Views: 323

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Much will depend on your approach to training and interactions. It will be important that they spend time together to learn how to be compatible. Walking them together will be great once they are fairly solid on lead. It will also be important that they have one on one training time so they become independent thinkers and be able to look to their humans for support and confidence rather then each other. The key is a good balance. Do know that raising two pups is challenging in the best of circumstances. House training is particularly difficult as one rarely knows who the culprit may be when accidents are found. Good luck.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service