Charlie barks at everyone that we walk by or anyone he sees from a distance.

I am afraid to take him on walks now, so we just play in the backyard for about an hour a day.

Sometimes he attacks my boyfriend when he gives me a hug, which is weird because he spends most of the day with my boyfriend

He also stares down other dogs. .. Which is not good because then a barking match starts.

does anyone have any suggestions???
has this ever happened to anyone?? do young adult dogs usually grow out of this?

Thanks
Daisy

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Time to find a training class in your area. Not sure how old Charlie is but what he is experiencing now is how he will continue to be if you do not learn how to redirect his behavior. If he is not neutered it is time. If you notice him staring at a dog redirect him. This is always the first sign of a challenge from a dog. Staying in the yard will only increase this behavior. Charlie needs training and environmental socialization so he can learn how to behave in these situations. A training class should help you greatly.
I would have to agree with Sam. Taking a training class will not only help the dog but it will greatly help you to understand that you are doing things that are adding to the problem and you don't even know it or think that it would.
Redirecting the behavior is going to be tuff but that is what the class helps teach you and give the dog some socialization. Its also a bonding experience for the dog and if you bring the boyfriend to the classes, it should help the trainer to see the behavior of the dog and help you to change it in each class.
I think training classes are great, but that is just me. I wish you the best of luck though in whatever you choose to do : )
To curb Sidney's barking (and yes, he also barked at everyone...people and dogs...when he was younger), we used a squirt bottle with water and a splash of vinegar. When he would bark, a sharp "ack" and squirt of water did the trick. Now when we walk he's great about it. When he sees a stranger he watches VERY carefully, all alert, but does not bark. Now he only barks when someone comes up our front walk...or if the UPS truck drives by. Only UPS, go figure!
Mac had that habit too. He still does it to a degree. Generally, I think this is part of Corgi's reputation of being loyal, active, and good watchdogs. They're smart and a bit independent minded.

You just have to be persistent with training. Give each technique a good go but don't be closed off to other techniques or a change in the approach.
Oh, and my daughter just told me he will still growl and woof if she's walking him alone, and only at men (especially if they are wearing hats and sunglasses!). I guess he's more protective of her in this situation, but I think this actually makes me glad.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service