On top of my Butter's blowing coat, I have observed something else with regard to shedding. Sometimes, after giving him ear drops, within 5-10 minutes he starts shedding profusely (tonight it lasted for at least 1.5 hours). Also, at the Vet's, within a few minutes, hairs are dropping on the table. I've also noticed it when we, one time only, happened to park beside a car with a yapping dog. We didn't know it was a problem until we came back and the back seat was just covered in hair.

Is this common? I think it must be from stress?

Anything to help him not to get to this state? We try giving treats, massages, lots of love talk, petting him, talking in a soothing voice, positive reinforcements. I really dread giving him his ear drops because he obviously is internalizing his stress. Any ideas? Thanks for any advice.

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know my husband had a sheltie growing up would shed a ton on road trips. I am not sure if there is anything to do for it. Lance usually sheds more when he is in the car as well. Sorry I dont have any ideas on how to help it.
It most likely is due to stress. I'm not sure right now what else you could do to help him not be so stressful. Your vet may recommend something for generalized anxiety as a temporary measure - Clomicalm.
I have noticed this in all my Corgis , when they are excited also like driving to the dog park. But is most noticeable at the vets.
What is Butter's favorite thing? I'm not talking the obvious which you've already done- I mean absolute favorite favorite melt da budda thing in the whole world? If he's not responding to that then I'd definitely make a trip to the vets. Heightened sensitivity could be a sign that something just doesn't feel right- I found that was the case with both of my older corgis.

Ziska
I know when we lived apart that when i visited and then left Roxi would stress shed for some time afterwards.

Sorry we never figured out a way to help it :(
Yes! Corey is afraid of windshield wipers and every time we get into the car. He starts shedding and he gives off an awful odor. Almost as bad as a skunk.
Caleb sheds more when he's stressed. I was gone for 3 days (My bro came over to stay at the apartment and take care of him) and I came home to find the carpet completely covered in fluff...the texture of the carpet actually looked different. Poor little guy. Good thing I have a good vacuum cleaner.
The number one cause of shedding is poor nutrition! Feed your dog high quality dog food with no corn,wheat,soy,gluten,or by products. Meat should be the very first ingredient. Pouring salmon oil over his food benefits their coat too.
Thanks I do this but he still sheds.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service