Hi so I just joined and just got my first Corgi about 4 days ago. She's a 7 1/2 week old red female named Elphie (after the main character in the musical "Wicked" - her registered name is "Macy's Somethin Wicked This Way Comes"). She's really a sweetheart and I'm crate training her but I was just hoping from advice from seasoned Corgi owners about the best way to train her - no nipping, coming when called, etc. She does pretty great walking "without" a leash, she follows at an almost perfect heel, but goes bonkers when I put it on. And then today she started pulling the 'flat dog' move even while off the leash. How much exercise should she get? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Views: 304

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recommend puppy classes for great socialization at that critical age 8 - 10 weeks and they will teach you to train your dog and space it out. What kind of training do you want to train her for? Basic obedience, show training? Your local AKC can help you find puppy classes, also several pet stores, etc offer classes. You will definately get your puppy to meet all ages, and types of people during his/her critical socialization period.

Puppy classes definitely, but also this has been an invaluable resource for us: http://puppytrek.com/

The vet had a copy, and we ended up finding a copy locally at the pet store.  I've had dogs before, but my boyfriend hasn't, and it's been very useful.  We have tons of training books, but so far it's this, the 101 tricks book, and the AKC puppy training book that have been most useful.

Also, of course, puppy kindergarten :) good luck!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service