I'm about to be a new Corgi owner, and am very excited! However, I live in an apartment, and I hear they can be quite the barkers if not properly trained. Does anyone have any tips for me to keep my new bundle of a joy a little bit less excited?

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1, Lots of excercise. 2. Teach the quiet command very early on. 3. Reward for a job
well done! To teach the quiet command you will also need to teach the speak
command.
Thank you! Do you have any tips on teaching the speak command?
Exercise is critical, Corgis are GREAT dogs, but don't let them be bored! When I was working I would get up early and take Teegan for her playtime with a frisbee before I left for work, then I had a friend take her for a walk at lunch. I was with her in the evening and she was fine. Teegan rarely barks when she is alone, she can be nosiey when I am home and she is in the "protect" mode! Training and exercise is the key! Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! Looking around here it seems Corgis mostly bark to get attention...so you think I won't have to worry about him barking a lot when I'm not home?
I suggest two books, "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson and "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. These two books will get you off to a wonderful start to a happy and carefree life together. Hopefully, you'll have 3-4 days to bond with him before you go back to work.

Corgis can sometimes be vocal, but that is because they were bred to be all around farm dogs and part of their role is to be a guardian. By teaching the puppy when it's okay to bark and how to be quiet you'll be setting yourself up to be a responsible owner and for your pup to become confident in his role as a companion.

I suggest you contact your immediate neighbors and explain that you will be getting a new pup and their might be some whining, crying, or barking for a few weeks until the new pup settles in and learns your routine. Have you made arrangements for someone to come and let him out and play with him around lunch time? Sometimes this is a way for you to meet a new neighbor.

Puppies spend about 20 hours a day sleeping so if your pup is well exercised and stimulated he should be spending most of the time you're gone sleeping. Make sure you keep him in a SAFE confined area and provide some clean fresh water for him while you're gone. Apartment living makes potty training a little more difficult, but with a dilligent effort on your part, manageable. The biggest error new owner make is, having too high of expectations on what the pup is capable of and that's why I suggest the two books I've mentioned.

Good luck and be sure to post lots of pics of Dr. Gonzo soon. Send some of that wonderful puppy breath out to me. I'm jealous!!
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I've been looking for some good training books, but there's just so many!
Sidney (and my other two dogs) will bark when a stranger is on the street (and I tell them "thank you, that's enough now, it's OK" and they stop), they bark a very excited bark when they realize it walk-time, and they bark a very soft attention-getting woof if they want to be let outside (no doggie door downstairs because of our indoor cats). None of them bark for no reason here.

Follow the advice these great folks here post. They really know their stuff!
Oh that's good to know! Thank you!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service