I think maybe Doc doesn't know how to play! He has 3 tennis balls, 2 rope toys, 2 squeak toys, and a frisbee, and he has NEVER played with or chewed on any of them! He just sits and looks at me like he's confused when I throw the frisbee or a ball or try to play with him at all. Billy thinks that maybe this points back to our suspicion that he was ignored/neglected/possibly abused before we got him. We've had him for a month now. I was hoping that by now he would have gotten over his fears and timid behavior, but he still cowers down when we approach him and just seems so unsure of everything. The only time he ever seems really excited/hyper/playful is in the mornings when it's time to go to bed! I work all night and sleep days, and when I go to bed, he goes with me. He seems to know when it's time to go, and just RUNS into the bedroom all excited; wiggling all over and turning circles! It's really adorable, but it's the only time he actually seems playful for a minute! I get into bed and he lays down on his bed which is on the floor next to mine. When it's time to get up and leave the bedroom, he acts like he doesn't really want to come out, but he does it anyway.

So...... anyone have any ideas or input on this one? Do you think maybe Billy is right and we just need to give him more time to learn that he can trust us, relax, and play?

Thanks!

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The play Camber likes is being chased, and then chasing me to catch up. She has a grand old time being withe chase game, but still isn't into toys. Glad I re-visited this thread. Forgot about the peanut butter on the tennis ball idea...
Rueben was the same way. Had no idea how to play when he came to us. He did come around with a squeaky toy of an animal that looks like him. He carries it around with him when he's feeling playful. He will also play with the pull rope. He does not like balls of any sort. If I try and engage him outside with a ball, its like I'm abusing him and I also get the same reaction if we play with sticks. Oh well....
My son has 2 lab/greyhound mixes that were rescued. They are still working on playing. It's been about 6 mo ad they are getting better but it's going to be awhile yet. Max (corgi puppy) tried to play with them and they ran behind my son. If it wasn't so sad it would have been funny. Just keep trying.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service