Hey, stranger... (How to meet, greet... and treat other people?)

I have a problem here. Charlie gets overly excited when he sees other people on the street when we walk. He starts running and jumping towards them, he wags his tail, and he is more excited than when he sees us!

I try to sit him when he sees people, or call him with "come" command, and it helps a little, but temporarily.

So, what should I do so that he would not be so excited seeing other people? :)

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When Charlie is greeting people I would make him sit or lay down and then have people pet him. If you are on a walk through the neighborhood and you just want to be able to pass people calmly I would just keep walking maybe use a phrase like lets go or walk and keep going dont stop. It will probably take alot of practice. If Charlie is so excitable and all else fails maybe bring a water bottle with you on your walk and give him a quick squirt of water on the back of the head and say No, walk, or whatever phrase you think would work for Charlie, eventually Charlie will get the idea that he should just keep walking and should get calmer with practice. I am not sure where you live but if you are in a warmer climate all year long then the water bottle will work but if it is starting to get cold you might not want to use it during the cold months. Charlie is still young, you may not have to use the water bottle just yet. I had to use it on our dog just recently on a walk because he was soooooo excited to see the dogs across the way he just about ripped my hand off!! Without even thinking I grabbed my daughters water bottle and gave him a quick squirt to distract him and save my hand and it worked! So whenever we go for a walk now I always have a water bottle and he seems to have gotten better. He never was like that when he was younger but as he aged he seemed to get worse. 30 pounds pulling on your hand hurts!! Good Luck hope you find something that works. Consistency is the key.
Hope this helps you.
Thank you very much, Natalie! That's a great advice. We live very close to Washington, DC, so we still have a couple months to use a bottle :)

I am also wondering, why exactly he gets so excited. May be it's just a puppy thing, or may be it'll get worse with the age..
I think they get so excited because they love people and dogs, probably because they like being social. Lance seemed to get worse with age, I dont remember it being so bad before!! I was wondering the same thing.
right, they are very social and playful! :)
Hi Alla, was looking through Charlies pictures what a cutie! Do you use a retractable leash or regular leash to walk Charlie. I would suggest using the regular leash instead of retractable because they can break and are alot harder to control a dog on when they are so excitable. My neighbor almost sliced her finger off using hers and both my kids got cut really bad on their legs when the dog wrapped himself around them, ouch!! After that incident I bought a retractable leash but not the string one I bought the tape retractable leashe. They have two different retractable leashes, we only use the tape retractable leash (potty time...no fenced in yard) in the backyard, that is the rule. Of course unless you are my kids and breaking the rule like the other day, they took him out front and he got so excited about something he broke it and got loose, not good, they are lucky he came back for ice when they called him!!! Ugh....kids!! Just something that popped into my mind looking through your pictures, sorry to get off topic.
that's fine, I love off-topics, because it's more natural for conversation :)

I usually use a retractable leash with stopper. Whenever I need him to walk close to me, I put a stopper on. However, I allow him to get a little bit more loose when we are walking in a little wooden area behind townhouses where we live.
How old is Charlie? Just from my experiences I think it would be better to teach him how to walk next to you on a leash before you give him extra leash.....it will make it more pleasant when you want to go walking as he gets older. Like I said just from my experiences, they seem to be easier to walk when they are younger but as they get older if they havent been taught how to walk next to you it is harder if you want them to do that. I know I had to work with Lance as he got older because he would pull on the leash...didnt do that when he was younger either. Maybe he did do that when he was younger but it didnt seem as big of a deal until he got bigger! I had to take the time to teach him not to pull, then I was wishing I would have taken the time with him when he was younger! : )
Charlie is 3,5 months. You are right, I'd better start training him as early as now :) Although I like just letting him play and run whenever he wants, he still needs to know some discipline! :)
awww...he is so little, how sweet. I miss Lances puppy days!
Hi Alla, the other thing you could do is turn around and go the other direction away from what is so exciting and keep his focus on walking, walk in the other direction and say walk... if he calms down you could try going back in the other direction toward the dogs, people etc. Repeat if necessary! Lance gets so excited when we go for walks that I have to make sure he is calm before we even leave the driveway, I dont start walking until he is calm once he is calm we walk, and if he starts pulling we stop and wait for him to get calm again...he gets it eventually! At first it is time consuming but eventually they get it and will make walking so much better.
I am actually doing that - I turn around and go the other direction. But he still continues jumping, and dragging the leash. May be what I need is just continuos efforts? and a water bottle :)
Yes it will take lots of practice! Yes and a water bottle is always a good idea to have on hand, and I also meant to tell you sometimes I just squirt the sidewalk next to where Lance is walking. If I really need to distract him then I squirt him.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service