I had a few super-quick errands to run yesterday, then was going to PetSmart for some toys and stuff for Doc. Since I knew that at PetSmart you can take your dog in with you as long as they are vaccinated and leashed, I thought Doc might enjoy that. I put him outside for about half an hour before we left, hoping that any "business" he might have to do would get done then. When we left, I laid a blanket in the backseat and put him in, and off we went! He stood the whole time, facing forward with his head poking between the 2 front seats. Several times he started to come through to the front, and I had to push him back and say "No, get back." After about 30 minutes in the car, he started to become more anxious about trying to get in the front with me, and the thought suddenly crossed my mind that he might need to potty, if he didn't do so before we left. I knew we were just a few minutes away from a large park, so we went there. That explained the anxiousness! He immediately started sniffing around for just the right spots, then hiked a leg here and squatted over there! We walked around there for a few more minutes, then continued our trip into town. He did try again several times to get in the front seat with me, but I was consistent with my response. I felt like I was being mean by not letting him up there with me, but I felt that, in my small car, the backseat is safer for him and me both. I don't yet have a doggie seat belt for him, so for now I'll just work on training him to stay back. He eventually gave up.
When we got to PetSmart, he was very reluctant to go in. Some of you may remember that he seems to have a fear of doorways, as strange as that sounds. He has become much better with them at home, but here was a new one, and I almost had to pick him up and carry him in! Once we got inside, though, he was so good! He got some attention from a couple of employees, some cuddles from a cute little girl, and met 3 other dogs that were there, and he was SO sweet and well-behaved for all of it! We were in there for about an hour, and for awhile he just sniffed around everywhere I led him, then, after I attached his leash to the cart to free my hands, he just patiently stood by the cart as I shopped for a couple of new toys for him. I showed him lots of different ones, and made my choices based on his reaction. Those he turned away from went back, and the few that he licked went home! He got a plushie lambskin-covered doll that squeaks and says "Mailman" on the front, a small plushie boxer puppy that barks, and a rainbow-colored chew toy that I can't quite describe any more than that. He also got his nails filed down with a dremmel in the grooming room, and was SO good for that, too! Now I know that if/when I buy one and use it on him, he won't freak out.
Well that about sums it up! We went home after that and decided a nap was well-deserved, so we both went to his favorite room - my bedroom - and promptly fell asleep!

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Way to go Doc, how fun to get to go along and pick out your new toys!
How fun! Good for you, Doc!
Hooray for a successful trip to PetSmart!! Caleb wanted to mark the place up from one end to the other the first time we went. I had to watch him like a hawk and couldn't get much shopping done the first day. Thankfully, he's much better now. :-)
That's so great that he is adjusting well to his new life! Hope he likes to play with the new toys!
Way to go!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service