Ok, ok, there are many discussions on what kind of food to feed our corgi's, but I wondering how much exactly? Do most ppl follow the directions on the food itself or what a breeder said. I will contact my breeder, but I thought I might get an answer faster on here and then I will I have a better idea. Anyway, Penelope is on premium food, she is 7.5 months old, she weighs, I think now about 20 lbs. I'll have to bring her to the vet just for a weigh b/c last month when she was spayed they said 14 lbs. (that could not have been correct, she felt heavier grew since her previous visit and they said 2 months before her spay she was 14 lbs.) She is very trim, you can see her "waist" for sure...she just looks long! From this info, how much should she be fed each day and once or twice a day as a reference until I hear from breeder. Thanks!

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My girl is 10 months old and was just weighed as being a little less than 22 lbs. Like yours, she is long and lean. Some people have commented to me that she looks "skinny" but I think that is partly because people are used to seeing really fat corgis. I really am trying to keep her leaner so that she won't have back problems later in life, but I do expect she might fill out a little bit more. I give her 1/2 cup twice idea of a very high quality food, plus she gets some treats here and there and plenty of exercise. I think the best bet is to go by what she looks like, rather than by weight, and you can change it accordingly. Plus, the level of amount of exercise they get will impact how much food they should eat. About 25 lbs for a grown female is a good weight, but as you will see by different owners on this site, there are little corgis and there are bigger corgis. We met the cutest one at the dog park last weekend that looked like a puppy! She was 17 lbs and not nearly as long as Ginny, but she was a month older than Ginny, so she will just be a much smaller dog, genetically.
I know that many ppl have seemingly tiny corgis on here and I was actually worried Penelope's weight was coming on too fast at one point. But, she looks skinny, my friends say we don't feed her enough (but that is also because she will always try to get table scraps...we are totally against that). Thanks for the info that makes me feel better, I was afraid I was starving her sometimes, haha!
Sidney is 14 months, 23 pounds. He gets 1/2 cup Wellness twice a day, with something added in, like either a spoonful of cottage cheese, yogurt, veggies (green beans or sweet potatoes) or cooked chicken. Sometimes maybe a couple spoonfuls of one of the premium brand canned food. We like to change things up for him.

He does not always eat everything we give him.
Thanks, we had to give Penny some variety when she was younger, yogurt was awesome when she didn't want her puppy food! But, that amount seems to be about what I have been told by most sources.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service