Im not sure if I can deal with having a dog that is so hard to get a handle on. I dont want to give up on him. He is my little friend, but it is really hard.

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is he neutered?
I would talk to a trainer right away. An obedience class sounds like a great idea. The trainer should be able to give you advise on the aggressiveness to new people. It sounds like he needs some socialization.

In terms of destroying the house, have you tried crate training? When you have to leave the room you can put him in his crate so he can have some time to relax and not destroy the house. Does he have lots of toys? Make sure that if he's getting into something you don't want him to, you give him something you do want him to chew on and praise him lots when he uses it!

Are you giving him exercise and attention? If Corgis get bored they create something for them to do, and it's usually nothing good. Exercise. attention, and lots and lots of toys should help curb the destruction.

Corgis aren't really different from other dogs in those habits, but they are one of the more energetic breeds. If you don't have time to deal with their energy, maybe a Corgi is not the breed for you. But an obedience class is a great step in the right direction. I hope it works out for you! Please let us know if you have any other specific issues, since we just love to give our opinions here. :D
No doubt, the importance of structure and excercise cannot be underestimated. It's the difference between a dog you can live comfortably with and one you can't! Even when we have one issue arise (like the barking we recently dealt with), the solution was more exercise. So now I'm walking my two around an hour a day (morning and night walks), plus a few extra minutes of fetch or one-on-one play, coupled with short, frequent training sessions. Things are calming down now! And the crate is your (and your pet's) best friend.
On the advise of my vet friend,I had excellent results using the gentle leader for bad behavior.Kitty changed,almost,overnight.Hang in there.
Hi Lizabeth,
My corgi is only 4 months old right now and I know he will be a handful...the best thing is to take him to training school if he hasn't already. We tried to train him ourselves but found out our technique was wrong. A good trainer will be able to show you how to deal with your dog. My puppy is currently taking puppy classes at Petco and our trainer is really helpful. She seems to know a lot about corgis. It is best to find a trainer who understands that different dogs will require different approaches. She taught us how to walk her on a leash just once and it has made a great difference... if you would like my trainer's e-mail let me know, you can e-mail her your questions... she is very helpful:)
Hi Liz, I hope the training class will help. Corgis are smart dogs and they require a lot of exercise of some sort to keep them in line. I have two Corgis and it is difficult and worth it so don't give up. A lot of people on the site gave great recommendations, training classes and I also enjoy watching BBC American, "Me or My Dog"...we all need to relearn things. Good luck!
Training classes are well worth the money. You will enjoy your dog much more if you take him.

For the chewing, spray some bitter apple spray on your curtains. Actually take him to a pet store to see which he hates the most.

Also, when he is chewing something he is not supposed to, don't say anything to him, just take it away and replace it with a toy. Praise him for chewing on the toy.

Corgis are working dogs. They need a job to do. Hide dog treats through out your house. I like to give my little one a stuffed kong to entertain him. There is also a ball that drops food when rolled you could try.
I have the rollie ball and it works great. Kept my GSD busy for years and now Madog has mastered it.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service