help dog just sprayed by a skunk; late at night, what do we do?

help dog just sprayed by a skunk; late at night, what do we do?

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tomato juice will help diminishes the stench. Use enough to soak the fur thoroughly. It might take several cans. Allow the tomato juice to soak in for 10 to 20 minutes.

Rinse out the tomato juice. Reapply it if the odor lingers.

If the tomato juice doesn't work, try Aloha's method, it also works!
I haven't tried Aloha's method but I know that tomatos and tomato juice works well. Good Luck!
Our dogs tangled with a skunk once (before we got Sidney). We purchased this odor remover at Petco and it worked great!

Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover

Fast acting! Removes skunk odor upon application! Not a perfume "cover-up." Skunk Odor Remover works by nature's enzymes removing the odor. Keep Skunk Odor Remover on hand for immediate use for emergencies."

http://www.petco.com/product/5988/Nature-s-Miracle-Skunk-Odor-Remov...
Thanks everyone for your help. I used Aloha's recipe and it worked really well; all the odour is gone. We don't think he got a heavy spray, thank goodness. I aired the house out for a few hours this afternoon and I think we are virtuallly through it all. We are going to pick up extra bottles of the hydrogen peroxide to have on hand.
We live in the country and we never have tomatoe juice on hand; no store for 20 miles and they were closed anyway. So thankfully we had h. peroxide and baking soda.

It was funny, today when I took Butter for his walk, I let him lead the way and he took me right to the spot where he was sprayed; you could still smell it. I told him that the "bad boys" (meaning the skunk) were gone now. Everytime he hears a strange and startling noise that scares him, I tell him it is the "bad boy" and then I say they are all gone and he relaxes then. Too cute.
Aloha's method works perfectly every time! (Scary that I know it works more than once!) We have had both dogs sprayed and the hydrogen peroxide mix took all the smell out - except their breath if they opened their mouth while being sprayed!

We too keep Costco sized bottles of HP around for those midnight adventures - gotta love the country!!! :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service