Hi, I have a 8 weeks old Prmbroke and he only weighs about 4~5lbs. He was little bit smaller and slender side among his littlermates. The breeder I got him from was just free feeding him. I ask the breeder how much food I should feed him per day and she had no idea. She wasn't very supportive nor informative. I'm feeding him 3 times a day totaling about a cup with table spoon of lowfat yogurt or cottage cheeze. He finishes his bowl everytime and checks back his bowl as if he wants more. I've been researching on how much to feed him and couldn't really find a guideline to compare with for corgi. I don't want to over feed him but want him to gain litle bit of weight while he's a puppy
(I can feel his rib cage and thigh bone easily as if there's no fat at all).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Views: 620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome and congrats on the new pup. I fed chloe 1/2 a cup i think when we first got her which was at 3 months old. now she is a year and gets 1 cup a day split morning/night. I would feed your guy 3/4- 1/2 a cup. I think a 1/2 a cup would be fine.
Hey RIchard, Congrats! He looks like a real cutie! We have a little guy as well and we fed him 3/4 cup twice a day and we made sure that it was Eukanuba puppy large breed food. When our little guy got a few months older we then mixed in Authority all natural food in with the Eukanuba and he has been satisfied ever since. We were told not to put in any people food in with his meals as he will come to expect it and the diary could actually bloat him. I hope that helps. Just one side note though. We were also told to carry our pup up and down the stairs for the first four months and then just down the stairs from 4-6 months so that his front shoulders, joints, and muscles could develop. Our Breeder said that since they carry the majority of his weight over his front shoulders it was important for his growth to have us do this. I am so glad that I did. He too felt like there was not meat on his bones but now he is nice and muscular and he is nine months old. I freaked out when we first got him as I could feel his rib cage curled but was assured that he would grow into it and it would flatten out. He did and it did and now I feel better. So, give him some time and he will get stronger and more muscular. :O)
The finishing his bowl and looking for more is a corgi trait it seems. If you can feel his thigh bones, I think he might need just a little more food. Some corgis are small and thin, and some are more robust, like my dog. He is a bruiser, but so was he dad. His dad was the biggest corgi I ever saw!!! In fact, I looked his father over real close, because he wasn't docked and I wanted to make sure they hadn't breed a pem with a cardi.

Back to the subject, give him a little more if you think he is on the slim side, but be careful not to let him get too big. Being a puppy and burning a lot of energy, maybe 1 1/2 cups a day for the next couple of months. But, keep a close look at his weight; If he starts looking pudgy, cut back. Also, my vet recommend large breed puppy food for Duncan when he was little. He started limping, and I thought he had done some damage to his ACL. Ended up he was growing too fast for his growth plates. So, the large breed gave him the needed protein which is just a little lower than most puppy foods. No problems with a limp after that. Just a thought.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service