My corgi has been displaying many signs of aggression. He barks at the cat and kids all the time and he is impossible to walk because he pulls so much when we get around other people or dogs. He recently has started lunging at children and has attacked the family cat. I am unsure of how to correct this aggressive behavior.

Views: 495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmmm...is he being aggressive or just playful? My Theo barks at cats, pulls when he sees another dog, and jumps up on children all the time. But that's just because he's excited. Does he snarl or growl or do anything that might make you think he's being aggressive as opposed to playful? If the answer is yes I would high tail your pup to a trainer. They're very knowledgeable on how to curb unwanted behaviors.
Tucker just yesterday grabbed a hold of the cat. Not sure if the cat would have made it through if I had not intervened
Wow, that's so strange. And how long has he been living with you without these problems? Sounds like either a vet or trainer needs to be involved. :(
Tucker is neutered, he has been for about 4 monhs. He has barked at the cat since I got him but never actually attacked
That seems really odd to go aggressive all of a sudden. Is he neutered? You might need to get him to a vet...
Yes he is neutered
Do you have any dog parks in your area? Dog park is a great way to socialize your dog around other dogs, and people. I've brought Atlas to the dog park since we moved out to Minneapolis, the only downside is he thinks anything on four legs wants to play with him, and he gets pretty excited on the leash when I walk him.
I would try and appeal to what most corgi's love, and thats food. Bring lots of treats with you wherever you go and encourage positive behaviors with your dog. For example, when he is around children/the cat tell him to sit or lay down, and then feed him a reward.
Most corgi's are highly food motivated and will catch on quickly.
The aggression thing is kind of unique however, my corgi, and other corgis I know are all very playful/excitable dogs, they love children, cats, and other dogs. If treats don't work to keep your dog's aggression at bay I'd recommend contacting a trainer.
Is he showing signs of "herding", or being agressive? Does he try to "herd" or guard inanimate objects also? He may need to vent his energy in a positive setting. Have you established being the "alpha" in the "pack"? Remember dogs are pack animals and they are always trying to increase their place on the "alpha chain". Maybe you could try some agility excercises w/him. I know catalogues like PetEdge.com, and RevivalAnimal.com have some agility equipment available. As far as walking him, you may need to try a training collar.
I went to the APDT site and have contacted several certified trainers. I think i found one that I like, the company has offices in several different states and offers a 6 month program for ~$500 and for ~$150 more they have a lifetime guarantee which is nice with Tucker being almost 1 year now. We both have alot that can change in our life. The trainer I seemed really nice and they give the trainer and the family time to get to know each other so that the trainer and family can work together on the issues at hand. The company also sees many cases of aggressive dogs so they are experienced in treating the behavior.

Thank you all for your assistance in this!!!
I'm glad you contacted an APDT trainer. Being a PetSmart trainer, I know we're only allowed to do very specific training...manners stuff. Our company is extremely strict on not allowing us to get involved in any type of behavior issues. (Makes me nuts, which is why I'm not going to train for them after this fall...but that's another story.)

You're doing the best for Tucker. The key, and I'm sure Debbie will agree, is being consisent. You have to be "on" and don't let Tucker get away with anything. Did you look up NILF? Man, that's a good one and works wonders. Again, it's one of the things I like to talk about in training, but am not allowed to do.

Stick with it. You and Tucker are going to do great!
I did look into the NILF and am going to start to implement this with Tucker prior to the trainer information
Try using a gentle leader for behavior problems~my vet friend had me use it and it really took care of the problems I was having with Kitty chasing and barking at my cats and eating their food,pulling and tugging at the leash,etc.It was amazing to me how quickly she responded.But,you have to use it and follow through with the use of it.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service