I seem to be struggling with "sandy's" weight. She will be 8yrs old next week and her weight is not doing well...Ive switched her food to a raw based dehydrated food"thehonestkitchen.com" and Im wondering whether or not to try the "green bean dog diet" . I want the best for her and it hurts to see that she is struggling with her weight. She could barely walk and doesnt feel like being active.
Please advise.
Qpulatani

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Weight is always an issue with corgis! (see the weight post on my page) Our Moira was almost 48 lbs when we got her. It was simply pitiful to watch her. Eight months of a very strict diet did the trick. Even though she still acts like she's a starving corgi, she doesn't get her way. Her food is carefully weighed and her treats are limited. She eats Natural Balance Ultra-Premium. We never did the whole green bean thing. The previous owners did that and she was still grossly obese. We just became good corgi moms and became very firm on what and how much our corgis were fed. We also increased their activity so they burned off what they ate. Kinda like a person! LOL!
I did use the green bean diet with Lizzie. She was 39 lbs and while the weight came off slowly, she has lost eight pounds and has a well defined waist, increased energy and is much less grumpy. We cut her kibble back to 1/4 cup (Canidae ALS) and added just over a quarter cup of green beans 2 x a day. The green beans are basically just a filler so she thinks she is getting more! Soemtimes I throw a couple of baby carrots in...Big treat. We have to watch her, she likes to steal duck and goose eggs off the nest...a major contributor to her rotund status! No more table scraps. This has been a difficult habit for my husband to get out of. We also try to walk 1-2 miles 2 x a day as well. I would like her to lose about 3-4 lbs more, but the vet is please with her transformation. Even an overfed Corgi will act like you are starving them. The most amazing thing was Lizzies attitude and her playfulness--she is an active happy girl right now. Working to help Lizzie lose weight has taught us to be much more disciplined with all of our dogs. Their diets are all fairly regimented and they all look great!
I give Charlie about 1/4 C. greenbeans with about 1/4 C. dog food 2 times a day and he has lost weight and is feeling much better. Has she had any blood work done lately to rule out diabetes or other health issues that could be contributing to her weight? I was beginning to worry about Charlie but he is doing much better with his weight. We also got a sheltie pup and Charlie is much more active at 6 than he was before. (We lost our 12 year old sheltie last fall). I didn't realize it but Charlie was acting old before his age. Our old dog was ill and couldn't play anymore so Charlie had started acting like an old dog. He plays almost like a puppy again. Maybe Sandy needs a new BF to energize her.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service