I am just doing some research about Corgis. I have wanted one since i was a kid. Now I am looking to get one this spring and wanted to get some advice from Corgi people about what to look for when buying a corgi. I also wish to understand more about the breed. I am aslo looking for breeders in the South SF Bay areas. Please send me your thoughts.

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome, this is a great place to start your research on the breed, lots of information on here. Look under Forums and Sam has a Puppy 101 blog, it is very informative along with alot of other informative blogs.
Corgis are alot of fun and have such great character including being stubborn! They do have lots and lots of energy though. They need lots and lots of excercise!! Are you looking for a Pembroke or a Caridgan?
I am looking for a Pembroke. I am an active single 27 yr old. I love being outdoors. I hike, kayak, horseback ride, triathlons, anything that will get me outside. I want a dog that is able to keep up, be my pal, and fit in my apartment. Corgis seem to fit the bill. I grew up with Labs and I dislike little dogs, but from my experience and reading, Corgis are big dogs in small packaging.
My first experience with Corgis was when I began competeing in Horse shows. many people had corgis and they seemed laid back, intelligent, and good with large animals. I have wanted one ever since.
They sound like a perfect fit for your lifestyle! They are very active and love the outdoors. My female is so active. If anything, corgis will tire you out! Corgis personalities are unlike any other dogs. Dont worry about corgis being "small". They can do the stuff big dogs can do.. just dont take up as much room.
Kelly
I think you're ready for a corgi !! I couln't agree with your reply more. My corgi females tend to be laid back, lap dogs but my male is more of a busy boy always on an 'adventure'. Take time to observe both parents when looking for a new pup as it will tell you a lot about your future dog.
I too showed horses when I first met corgis and then got one for my kids and that was the end of the story I was hooked. Horse folks also have Jack Russells but they are hyper (bong, bong) and Aussies (25 years ago we use to raise) but now the breed still has some great dogs but many are nuts. Please verify that your apartment will allow a dog other than a toy type. Come check out my page.
Welcome! You've definitely come to the right place! These guys are a wealth of knowledge!!
What I will say, from my experience with a Corgi puppy, is that he is not a whole lot of laid back. He might get more laid back as he gets older, I don't know. He's chilled some since the first few months we took him home. But he definitely a ball of energy. But if you have the time and like to be active, this might be the dog for you. Grover is the perfect size for our small house and back yard. But we take him to the park and for walks in our neighborhood too. Grover loves going hiking, so I'm sure a Corgi is a good dog for that! A training class is a MUST though because they can be very stuborn. And, with my guy anyway, I've found that a routine is a must too. If we get out our routine, he gets bratty! Granted he's still a puppy, so that might change too when he gets older.
Corgis are definitely not the kind of dog you put in the back yard! But it sounds like that's not what your looking for!
there is a Corgi magazine which they sell in Pet stores (like for other breeds)

lots of useful information about the breed!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service