Camber does not like dog treats. Just real meat... She will eat peanut butter.

We bought a Kong and stuff some peanut butter in there and froze it. I came back from work and it was empty. She liked it.

I wonder if she went to work on it right after we left or later on?

My question is "If we were to give her this daily, how much peanut butter can I use?" I was thinking since she is only 19 lbs, that maybe a tablespoon would be it.

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What size is your current kong? If she gets regular exercise, then you can fill a kong all the way up with PB and other meat. We have a small kong, about 4 inches tall. We do not stuff it full, but probably put 3 tablespoons of PB with other treats like Charlie Bears (low-cal), and other treats like leftover cooked ground sirloin. When I come home at mid-day, I just put a swipe of PB on the inside and that will distract her long enough for me to leave!
Our Kong is red and maybe 4" tall?

She does not get as much exercise as I would like, but we are very careful on portion sizes, so her weight and figure are perfect. She goes for the Kong as soon as we leave, so it does not really keep her occupied when we leave... Maybe for just 15 minutes.
You may want to experiment with really smelly or "special" treats that you only use in the Kong, so she knows that she gets something super special when you leave. The smellier the better! Kitsie doesn't always finish the stuff in her Kong, even tho we don't stuff it. She may just be finishing it under 15 minutes, which wouldn't be surprising. Is the issue more that you're concerned with her being occupied while you're gone?

But your original question of how much PB, I wouldn't worry about it too much until you see some extra weight that isn't muscle on your pup.

Other goodies to try in the kong: salmon or cod treats that break apart easily, hot dogs (be careful with these, they are high in fat and salt - we get the low fat kind), cream cheese or sliced cheese (make sure pup isn't lactose intolerant, and watch for diarrhea), kibble.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service