We have a female and a male corgi. The female has been in heat numerous times and still nothing. The male corgi goes nuts when she is in heat. He protects her, licks her, follows her everywhere, but as far as I know does not mount her.

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Corgis can be quite difficult to breed. Reputable breeders look for far more than the ability to produce pups. They do the appropriate health testings on the adult dogs. Hips, eyes and VonWillebrands should be considered before breeding any corgi. They also show their dogs to continue their education and feel certain that the dogs they are considering breeding meet the standard for the breed. It is also not unusual for corgis to require a c-section. This can be a big expense that one may not consider if they are choosing to breed. Failure to thrive is also not uncommon so losing pups is something that not be an unusual event. I really think it wise to have an experienced corgi mentor to help one along if you are considering breeding. There is far more to think about than if they will breed. The heartbreak can be huge if you are not prepared.
Thanks for the input Sam. We have been/are considering breeding Maddie after she's had her 2nd heat., but just to breed her once. Since I work for a vet and Moonmystic works at Petsmart with Banfield on site we will be under very good healthcare if we do breed Maddie.
I dont think I will ever breed Daisy....it can be really hard on dogs sometimes like my old dog when she had pups she was never the same she was always tierd never want to play or anything....

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service