It's just been me and my Little Bear since June. We go get fast food together, take long walks together, run errands together, and I spoil him rotten. He is the king of the castle and he is fully aware of this fact. I spoil him and he loves me right back.

Well, I work 9 hours a day. I'm gone from home that long, so keeping him entertained while I am home is quite the chore. I get up at 9 everyday with him, and I'll leave for work at 1:40. So that's his playtime.

I have to keep him in the kitchen or else he eats my apartment. I don't want him to be bored though, and it doesn't seem like he is, but I've been thinking about getting another dog. The only thing is, Little Bear gets jealous if I'm ever around my mom's Corgi LouLou (because we're there for long periods of time instead of just a brief meeting where he sees someone else's dog and then we leave). And I enjoy being my little boy's one and only. But I think he needs a friend, and I've noticed that most people on here have multiples. There is a situation arising soon (like, January) where I have to decide whether or not 1) getting another puppy would be a good idea while he's still 7 months and 2) would Little Bear get pissed and have problems with the other puppy? And even if they get along famously, how in the world am I gonna cart 2 Corgis around while I run my errands?

How did it work out for everyone else?

Views: 53

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you were to get another puppy I would recommend getting one while Little Bear is still young...however if he gets jealous very easily it may not be the best idea because then you can end up with fighting dogs (like I have) that can end up with some serious injuries....the other thing is when getting another puppy while you already have another puppy, this is just my experience...that the older of the two puppies seem to digress with training and goes back to acting like a younger puppy than what they already are....what we did when we got our other 2 puppies was that we brought our older dog with to see if she would get along with the puppies ....it seemed to work but once she was back on her own turf she became territorial and would start fights with the other puppies for no reason...each dog is different and I think the best way to go if you wanted another would be to take your dog now with to see if he would get along with another puppy...
If you do decide to get another pup. What I've read is a good way to keep the jealousy down is to make sure you give the same attention to both dogs. It's hard not to keep most of your attention on the new pup cuz.. well its new! But the other dog will sense this and it will help lead to aggression.

Also keep a close eye on both of them. Make sure when they are together for the first few months that your watching them.. if you leave.. keep them separate till you know they wont fight.. its never fun to come home to a hurt pup :(

If you go on arrends in your car.. put them both in the back. Just like kids.. they will fight for the front seat lol. If you walk for arrends.. do some test runs first.. try to work a system with two leashes or get that double leash. Remember your the alfa of the house not him :) So if he fusses about not getting the exact same treatment.., well tuff kid. Life is still good ;) let him know this!

But as Mel said, if you know your dog is aggressive through jealousy, and as you said he doesn't seem bored then don't worry about getting another pup. If you want another corgi for YOU then thats great :)

Goodluck with figuring stuff out
Hi Laura:
Im no expert, so I cant give you professional advice. However, I can share my experience and my story with you.
Like you, I am quite the busy girl. Im either at school for long hours, or literally sit at my desk studying for LONG hours. I was the mommy that ADORES her corgi, Bonni. And she knows it! I had moved away from home for graduate school, and Bonni and I were each other best companions for 2 years! We do everything together too! Up until this year.... my third year in pharmacy school... I became much much MUCH busier. I dont even have that 3 hour playtime u have with your little one. So, I finally decided that Bonni really needs a friend so she can play with while I study or while Im at school. So, one magical day, Faye became the new member of my little family. Unfortunately, Bonni did not like her once she realizes that Faye doesnt leave.... and that she lives here. She became sad and was upset with me for quite some time. It was a bit difficult for me too, bc I had to adjust the amount of attention I give. In the beginning, Bonni was stil my number 1! so... it made me a little sad bc I couldnt hold her all the time, or give her the same attention as before, bc of my limited time, in addition to caring for the new puppy (tons of work!). Faye was really mean to Bonni bc she was trying to fight for her place in the house and my love. Bonni did not want to share... so everywhere I went she made sure she was closet to me and pushes Faye away or growl at her. It was sooooo difficult!!!!! Its a little better now in a sense that Bonni doesnt try to hog me. They actually do play together now, sometimes sleep next to each other.... But Bonni still growls at her every now and then. And she always bark when I go to unlock the crate to let Faye out.
I have to say I am quite dissapointed, bc I wanted to give Bonni a best friend. Having two dogs esp when u have a tight schedule is EXTREMELY difficult. I think mainly bc a puppy requires so much attention and training. I bet that once the puppy gets older, it will be easier.... but that walk up the hill is the worst!!! It would make it all worthwhile if only they love each other.......

I tell you this bc I spoiled Bonni rotten for 2 years and she never had to share any of her cool stuff (mountains of toys and special treats)...... And I suppose that a change from that is very hard to adjust... whether its a dog or a human. =o)
On a side note... I talked to some other multiple Corgi owners today at the park....
And I learned that usually a girl and a girl are harder to pair up with docile relationship.
And that a boy- girl is best.
And a boy-boy may even work out better than a girl-girl.

I wish you lots of luck!
Maybe you should babysit a friend's dog for a couple days. To see how your Little Bear reacts with another dog living with him.

Other than that... I can also say that if Little Bear is very obedient bc he likes to please you, you can always train him to be nice to the new puppy. Cant train him to love the new puppy, but at least be nice. Im doing that with Bonni. She's being nice to Faye, esp when Im watching her bc she doesnt want me to be mad at her. but I hope one day, she will love Faye.

=0)
Once again my past rescue experiences will be of great help to you. Getting a companion for your dog is not a choice reason to add a pup. Bear has already shown signs of not enjoying the company of other dogs and intense jealousy. He is not reliable in the home and a pup would make this worse. This would be a recipe for disaster. I can assure you that you feel much worse about Bear being alone then he does. A better choice for you would be to find a training class in your area. This will be a nice outlet for Bear to be around other dogs, other people and use his brain. You may also consider agility training which is lots of fun and a grand outlet! Clicker training is also lots of fun and will give Bear a chance to use his great thinking brain. Sounds like you have a very busy schedule and having enough time to devote to two dogs just isnt there. Take the extra time to provide good outlets for Bear and help him be a good canine citizen. I think with training, more positive and controlled interactions with other dogs and a redirection for his negative reactions maybe down the road when the time is right an addition could be considered.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service