How did you end up with a corgi? Tell us your story!

My wife and I were newly weds, we were not ready for babies so we decided to take on a puppy instead.

At that time in our life, we were living in a 2000 sqft condo, space was limited and so we knew we wanted something small to medium size. We have thought about other dog breeds like border collie, beagle & sheltie. We eliminated them because of the following reasons:

border collie - requires a lot of exercise and we were living in a condo.
beagle - the breed seems to be quite stubborn and can be a real howler.
sheltie - great size and very similar to corgi, but the hair can be a lot of work.

So why did we pick corgi? well, we read alot about the breed, it seems like corgis are very smart, motivated by food, loyal and good with kids. It fit right into our requirements.

So what else am I happy about my dogs? I like that they're not "common". I'm surprised that there are many people who don't know about them and constantly ask if they're pure bred :) I also like the fact that my dogs can handle themselves with the bigger dogs in the dog park. Corgis are very brave and have great stamina to run and herd cattles & sheeps for 45mins nonstop.

How about you? How did you end up with a corgi? why don't you share with us?

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Disney will not release "Little Dog Lost". Once in a while I hear it has been televised. I do want my own tape of it. And will gladly pay the expenses to get a copy. If anyone can do that for me I will be very grateful. All our pleading with Disney has been in vane. I would think it would be in their interest to make some money by putting in on VHS or DVD.
Hi Jane!
I looked it up on Amazon.com, and they have several available, new and used. I ordered my copy today! It's on DVD, but if you really want VHS you might be able to find it through the same site.

Good luck!

Well it all started in the forth grade...I really wanted a puppy sooooo bad!!! So when we went to the library I picked dog book called "Find your perfect puppy'. So I grabbed it and sat down and tried to read it but it was hard(I wasnt much of a reader in 4 grade) But I was looking at all these puppys then I saw a dog with huge ears a stubby tail and short legs. I thought it was so weird and I coulnt pronounce the name so I asked and then after school that day I went home and told my parents that I wanted a corgi! But they said I had to wait till my dog blue passes away I was mad but I knew the day would come! I asked for a corgi every chance I could! Once I got into 7th grade(now) wich seemed for ever to wait and it was!!!!!! I remember wathing every corgi video I could just thinking that someday all have one of my own! But one day my dog Moki my astrailen shepherd had to be put down.....I was soooo sad so was my mom. The fist day of feeding my dogs just after Moki had to be put down was hard my mom was used to getting three bowls but now just two....I guess she missed haveing three dogs......so did I. But then I started to talk about how cute corgis are and how fun it would to have one but she kept on saying wait till blue passes away....I hated that answer.....so then my mom went up to my dad and said lets just get her a corgi befor she gets into highschool (but I knew she just missed having three dogs it was obvious!!!) And I ran back into the computer room and my dad saidc "Lets get a corgi tommarow?!" I froze and started screeming and running around and I cleaned my room and everything I was so happy I was finally getting my very own corgi!!!!!!!!!!! So the next day my mom bought 2 newspapers one for madison and the other for something I dont know but I looked in the adds and.....no corgis....I started to cry and I wanted one that day so my dad went online and got newspapers for other citys close by and I was just about to call and the phone rang witch was odd and I answerd it and a lady said "Hello did you call about are corgi puppies for sale?" I gave the phone to my dad and he said no? But its funny we were looking for a corgi puppy just now?!!!" So yeah we set a time to go see the corgis and I got the pick of the litter!!!! It was awsome! So I ghot Daisy! They acually had 2 litters! So I was lucky! They had 2 tri color boys and all the rest were red and white but I dont know I nerowed it down to 2 corgis and said "theres only one way to pick" So I put them both on the ground and one came up to me and was really friendly and the other one walked away??? So I picked the one that came up to me! Daisy May!!!! Feeeeew that was alot of typing lol!
I have been saving up and planning for a dog for over two years. I really wanted one. My parents decided it would be good for me so they said yes. I decided on a Corgi because I know that they're friendly, intelligent and simply adorable.

Just when we thought I wouldn't get my Corgi after all due to the price, we came across a good breeder right here in Nebraska who was willing to sell a dog to me for a price that fit our budget. After seeing a picture of a male tri-color Pembroke Welsh Corgi puppy, I immediately fell in love with him. I knew right then that he is my "dream dog."

We're picking Scout up on December 3. I'm sure he'll go everywhere with me. I wonder if he'll get along with my grandparents' Dachshund...
Oops. That Dec. 8, not 3. I wasn't paying attention.
Well, let's see. I've owned dogs, cats, etc. all my life. . . .In 2007 I lost my devoted dog Claire.

I work for a Doctor in Santa Monica and one day a new patient called and asked if he could come in cause he felt really sick. He and his wife sat in the Lobby and waited for the Doctor. They overheard me telling my co-workers I was looking for a new dog and the patient's wife came over to me and asked me if I wanted their dog. I immediately said YES. I didn't know what kind of dog it was I just wanted another one. She asked me if I wanted to see what he looked like. I a said sure. She brought out her cell phone and showed me a picture of their dog named Sid, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. He had the sweetest face. I was not familiar with Corgis but I fell in love with him right away.

The owners were from Japan and the husband had been at home with Sid all year while looking for a job. She told me she would have him ready for me to pick up on Friday of that week. . .I tell you I had butterflies all week waiting for my new Corgi. When I went to pick him up, She met me and walked me into their apartment. . .Sid ran over to me and started licking my hand and jumping up to meet me. . . .he is such a lovable Corgi. . . .She gave me ALL his belongings. She walked me outside with Sid and told me she knew from meeting me that I would be the ONE to be Sid's new companion. . .She had interviewed over 20 people. . .I had no idea. . .I was honored. . . .

When I got Sid home, he went wild and started running all over the place. . .I have an acre of land and it's all fenced in so he ran until he couldn't run anymore. . .he came inside and jumped on my lap and quickly fell asleep. . . .

I fell in love with him right away. . .he is such a delight. . .I call him my "Little King", cause he IS. . . .

After a few months, I decided to get a little girl for him to run and play with. That's when I got Babs from a breeder in Minnesota. . .she flew in on a Friday and when I got her home, I opened the door to her crate and she ran out and started playing with Sid and they ran and ran and ran all day. . .since her arrival, they've been like peas in a pod. . .can't do without each other.

Needless to say, I decided to get another little girl so I contacted the breeder again and she sent me Cloe. . .she is the cuttest little thing. . .she too ran out of her crate and hasn't stopped playing since. . . .I LOVE my Corgis. . . .they are spoiled, spoiled and spoiled. . . .I've set up a trust fund so if anything happens to me, they will NEVER have to worry about a thing as long as they live. . . . .they are the light of my life. . . .
WhiteDove,
That's a beautiful story. They're so lucky to have you!
My boyfriend was living alone at an apartment in college and had always grown up with a dog. He wanted a dog to keep him company and wanted a larger, sturdier dog, but the apartment had a weight limit. He researched smaller dog breeds that tended to have bigger personalities and came across the corgi( this of course was not the first time we had heard of the breed). He found a reputable breeder near him and went and picked out Miles because was more docile than the rest of the group, he was also the runt and Paul just fell in love. We've been spoiled by how perfect Miles is.
one of my good friends has a corgi and I've always loved him. I was determined to get a corgi, one day i was searching on kijiji.ca and just typed in corgi and found 2 , one that was try and the other brown, my friend has a tri and i absolutely loved him...so I chose the tri.. they were going for 375.00 and my brother didn't mind splitting the cost with me.. we bought him without telling my parents (ha ha ) but when they came home from work and saw him, they loved him. now the household is in love with louis and so is everyone else lol, he's a really weird dog...strange personality but i love him to death he's my son =]
Gizmo was a very unexpected, unplanned for puppy. I was a senior in high school and my family had just had to put my cat to sleep a few months earlier. It was very sudden, one day she was acting wierd trying to put herself behind my bookshelves in the middle of the night, the next day I found her having one big long seizure, basically didn't stop all day so we rushed her into the animal hospital to put her out of her pain. A few months later, right around the time I was graduating, my boyfriend and I were at the mall and I always love looking at the cute puppies at the pet stores so we went in. We decided to to take one out of the cage and play with it in the little play room area. It was the first puppy I saw as soon as I walked into the store, it was the cutest one there, and I fell in love as soon as I held him. I called my parents on my cell phone right from the store and asked them if we could get a puppy, I was even willing to pay for him with my savings...he was quite pricey...$800. They said no. Sooo...sadly I put him back.

About a week later, my boyfriend called me and asked me to go to his house, he had a surprise for me. So I went over his house, and when I walked in the front door, he was standing there holding the puppy. I almost cried. He gave me gizmo as my high school graduation / 18th birthday gift. I took Gizmo home with me that night, pushed him into the living room...my dad said NO! and got up and went up to his bedroom. My boyfriend kept Gizmo at his house for a few days, and finally my dad broke down and told me to go get him and bring him home. Turns out he only said no because he was afraid of getting attached to another animal again and getting his heart broke. awwww. These days, my dad and gizmo are best friends. Although I know I hold a special place in his heart, because Gizmo is reaaaaallly not a cuddler, but I'm the only one in the family who he really "allows" to cuddle with him. (I sit on the floor with my legs out straigh, lay gizmo on his back between my legs, and give him the best belly, neck, head massage that makes him fall asleep every time! lol)

So....while getting puppies from pet stores isn't always the best idea, I am sooooo glad we walked into the pet store that day because he is the best gift I have ever recieved in my entire life. that little doggy makes me smile just thinking about him, even when i'm having a bad day, 5 hours away at school. =)
A friend of mine called me one day. She said there was a litter of 4 puppies at her office which were a mix of pemborke corgi/brussels griffon. She said the person they came from bread and showed both the corgi and griffon. While under the guidence of a teenage daughter the dog's mated. The owner was going to destroy the litter as not to "tamper" with the authenticity of her dogs. When my friend called me my husband went to check the puppies out. He came home with one male very little guy. He was only 4 wks old and less than a pound. Now looking back and knowing as much as I have learned about Corgi's, he was all Corgi. He was so small and so low to the ground that he was "high centered" on the garden hose while out playing in the yard. That was Ace. He was the best dog I ever knew. He was actually my first dog. I was very attached to him as he was to me. I still miss him very much. He passed away in April '07 from AIHA which is a blood disorder. He was only 6 years old. I didn't know if I wanted another dog because the heart ache was so much I didn't think I could ever handle it again if anything were to happen to another dog. Finally my family convinced me that we needed to have another dog in the house. I had been researching on line for months. I knew that I loved all the corgi traites about Ace. I kept looking and finaly found our little Max. He is a little bit more "Corgi" than Ace was, a little bit more energy and "bossy-ness", but we are very happy that we have him. There is nothing better than that unconditional love of a dog to come home to and the wonderful personality of a Corgi. That is how we came to have a Corgi in our family. Thanks to Ace, RIP my baby.
Attachments:
My mom was a Brit and breed corgis and married my dad American in the Air force so he moved her to the states and back a few times and this is where we ended up grew up with corgis they ruled our suburban neighborhood in Massachusetts where I grew up .and knew that when I was adult enough to have one I have owned 6 and whelped 3 litters from 1 female I had.....Corgi pups are the best.....Cheers the RI corgis.....

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service