How did you end up with a corgi? Tell us your story!

My wife and I were newly weds, we were not ready for babies so we decided to take on a puppy instead.

At that time in our life, we were living in a 2000 sqft condo, space was limited and so we knew we wanted something small to medium size. We have thought about other dog breeds like border collie, beagle & sheltie. We eliminated them because of the following reasons:

border collie - requires a lot of exercise and we were living in a condo.
beagle - the breed seems to be quite stubborn and can be a real howler.
sheltie - great size and very similar to corgi, but the hair can be a lot of work.

So why did we pick corgi? well, we read alot about the breed, it seems like corgis are very smart, motivated by food, loyal and good with kids. It fit right into our requirements.

So what else am I happy about my dogs? I like that they're not "common". I'm surprised that there are many people who don't know about them and constantly ask if they're pure bred :) I also like the fact that my dogs can handle themselves with the bigger dogs in the dog park. Corgis are very brave and have great stamina to run and herd cattles & sheeps for 45mins nonstop.

How about you? How did you end up with a corgi? why don't you share with us?

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My boyfriend, Colin, and I always wanted to get a dog. On our first date, our mutual dog-loving tendencies came up, and, having both grown up with labs, initially we said that someday we'd wind up with a Golden Retriever named "Apple" (Colin is a computer engineer, and we're both fairly big nerds...so the goal was to somehow name our dog after a computer. ;) When we finally moved in together officially in 2006, we realized that apartments and big sporting dogs didn't really go together. We started looking around for a smaller breed of dog that had a "big dog" personality, and finally found Corgis via a friend who owns a Pem named Fox. We started doing research last February on how to get our own.

At one point, we received a call from a rescue contact who wanted to offer us a Cardigan. The dog and the timing we're appropriate, but as a Cardi breeder and rescuer she convinced us to chat for a bit about her preferred breed...we were hooked after that night! We actually wound up on the list for a litter that breeder planned to have; the puppies were scheduled to be ready to go home to their owners right around when we were looking to adopt. Unfortunately, there were some complications with that litter and last April we were back to square one. As luck would have it, all our research and homework paid off...a member of anther online community we joined (who is also here on MyCorgi) is the sister of a breeder and outright asked if we wanted a week and a half old boy she had available for adoption! We realized very quickly that a special pup had found us...and after taking Mac home last May, we have been the happiest dog owners ever :)
We moved into our first apartment a couple months back. We were planning on waiting until we had our own home, but since Megan's family dog was put to sleep recently, there was a void where a dog had always been. We researched different breeds and decided that a Corgi was exactly what we wanted, we only needed to find one with a breeder or shelter. At work one day Megan mentioned that we were looking for a Corgi and a fellow coworker asked if we wanted hers since she had no time for it anymore. At only six months old we adopted Einstein and couldn't be happier!
well....since the first time i met a corgi i knew this breed was for me! i saw my first corgi on a pet walk around magic island on oahu. he was the most adorable dog id ever seen. tiny little adorable body! i went up to meet him and he smiled and said hi in the most regal and happy way imaginable. there is no better description than big dog in a tiny body. i got to walk with the owner for a while and found the corgis name was humphrey (perfect name!!) and that he was a corgi. the moment i got home i researched the breed and fell in love! i got pa'ani 2 years ago from a private breeder (who also breeds daschunds...funny) pa'ani and i have become better friends than i could even imagine. anything and everything we can do, we do together....sometimes he has to take a shower with me...hehe...since i got pa'ani ive learned so much about the herding group and have loved every second. the nipping, stopping, herding and the intelligence are among some of the wonderful traits that have helped me through college life, pilot training and of course life! im not sure there is a better breed! corgis rule! :)
My wife and myself love dogs. However just before we got married, someone gave us a beautiful Persian cat as she was migrating. Chloe had a mind of her own but eventually took to us very well. She was like the queen of the home. A few year later we another cat; a Tongkinese. She was a real rascal but in a adorable kind of way. She was everything Chole was not. Anyway on 26 December last year Chole passed away. At first we thought it was just all age but when we sent her to the vet and after a series of test, she was diagnosed with tumor. It broke our hearts.

It took us a while to get over it and we started talking about getting a dog. And my wife was into corgis. It's not common here in Singapore. We started reading up about Corgis and went to petshops looking at them. I mean they were so adorable.

Well in April I went to a shop and they just had 5 puppies that were arrived from Australia. There was one that we did like but he was so hyper. My wife carried Bronwyn and she was so calm when my wife carried her. She was already 3 months old then. Brought her home and when we brought her to the vet, he commented that she was one of the most fluffy dog he has ever seen.

She's very 'sticky' to us. When she plays, she wants us to play with her. She won't even allow us to seat on the safa and watch tv while she plays by herself. Trying to train her that we have a life too!
About 5 years ago we moved into a duplex with a large yard; my mom (now 80) lives in one half and my daughter and I live in the other half. Before this arrangement, all of us lived together in a small house and when my last cat (in that house) died, it wasn't possible to have another pet.
By moving into separate halves of the duplex, it was possible to bring animals back into my life. First we adopted two cats from a shelter. After two years and several surgeries, one of the cats (my daughter's fav) needed to find a new home where people were home all the time and he could have further surgeries to correct the problem. That left us with one cat.
We talked about getting a dog, and worked with a great animal behaviorist to determine what breed would be best for us, the size of our house, and our lifestyle. It came down to five breeds, not one of them was corgi. In talking with the behaviorist, she finally recommended a corgi.
My parents had a corgi when I was very young, and she lived to a very old age. So I was somewhat familiar with the breed, and I had considered them previously (family friendly, generally sweet personalities, etc.)
So we contacted the corgi group through the AKC, and started asking for a rescue dog, older would be best. Through many emails and a few months, we found the breeders that had Bunny. First they offered us two other dogs, both girls; it turned out that other breeders wanted them for puppies. So they offered us Bunny, at the ripe old age of 6 years.
She came home with us and I had her checked out by a local vet, who tested her for heartworms during her check-up. Positive! After several months of treatment and rechecks, she finally tested negative. The breeder continued to claim there was no way any of her dogs had heartworms, though she stopped giving any preventative meds months before we got Bunny.
Bunny finally was spayed, and had her teeth cleaned, and got a clean bill of health. She still has some residual effects of the heartworms, and will probably always have. We need to keep her slim and active to keep her heart and lungs as healthy as possible to minimize the damage. And she gets the meds each month to prevent any reoccurance.

So my recommendation to everyone with a dog, is to get them tested and on the preventative asap. The treatment is hard on dogs, and some do not survive it.

My last dog was a coy dog, and Bunny is so much mellower and non-neurotic. We now have two cats again, the older one and a newer kitty (kitten) and all three get along great.
A favorite weekend activity in our household is for everyone to get on the futon and snuggle up to watch a movie. A bit crowded, but wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm completely sold on the breed and hope to get another dog in a few years. Corgi of course!

Cathi
I've only ever had small dogs, I have 2 Jack Russels (Buttercup and Blake, who is a rescue) and 2 Chihuahuas (Princess and Penny Lane). I wanted a bigger dog but my dad wasn't big on a big big dog, and I always loved Corgis. They are a big little dog, a little bigger than my others but not too too much bigger. Edie is just perfect for us!
Would you believe that my getting a corgi was a mistake? It's funny now, but it wasn't back then.

In April 2006, my husky mix passed away from cancer at age 11. I was devastated. I'd had him since he was 3 months old (I found him abandoned on the side of a country road near Tulare). He was my soulmate and son. I had never had to euthanise an animal before. I vowed never to get another dog so I wouldn't have to feel that way ever again.
A few weeks of a dead silent house, finding toys and treats that had been missing forever, and the foot of my bed being cold and silent had me missing the companionship. A friend took me out on her sailboat to help with the grieving. I fell in love with sailing and started looking for a breed small enough to sail with me. I'd known a few corgis in the past and thought that would be a good breed to take sailing. That was my mistake. A good boat-breed would have been a Schipperke. Corgis just aren't built for boating or swimming.
Anyway, I had signed up to adopt a corgi via pwccsc. They didn't want me because I'd never had a corgi before. The groomer referred me to a local breeder that had a 4 month old pup that had been adopted and returned twice. That's how Dodger came to me. He's my handsome 2-time loser. LOL. About a month after I got Dodge, pwccsc called and said they suddenly had 4 young corgis (1 male, 3 females) that had been confiscated from an illegal puppy breeder in San Diego (they had corgis, poodles, Yorkies and dachshunds I think, all in little cages in their garage). After a week or two, Dodger and I were matched with Genoa. (The names are actually sailboat parts).
Dodger's first encounter with a swimming pool showed me the error of my sailing idea. He sank butt first. Neither one of them can really swim, though they both love to wade - especially if the water is filthy and stinky.
So for my intent at the time, corgis were a mistake - best mistake I ever made.
my bf always talked about this half weiner dog half fox his old barber used to have when we were looking for dogs, i thought he was just being crazy and ignored him. then i found corgi's online i researched them and i fell in love. so my bf came home with a dog book that night and we were flipping though and both stopped on the corgi and was like "THATS IT" so we had to get one haha
In the past I have always been a cat person. I haven't had a dog in over 13 years and I have never had a puppy. My fiancee is a dog lover and said he wanted a dog preferably a pembroke welsh corgi. I kept telling him no until he showed me youtube videos of corgi puppies. I am a fan of Cowboy Bebop so when I saw them I called them Ein dogs. My heart melted and I gave in on the condition that we had to name the puppy Ein.

I was actually the one who found our Ein and we drove 9 hours for the puppy. I think Ein knew that we were coming for him too. He snuggled with me the entire way home. He didn't whine or bark the entire trip. He is a total mama's boy.
I had a German Shepherd, Cody, growing up and my brother had a boxer / mastiff mix, Scout. My family is definitely a fan of big dogs, rather than the little ones. When my GSD was put down after 14 years, I didn't want another dog for a very long time. I think in the process of grieving for Cody I forgot how much I enjoyed dogs, and Scout's determination to be the most disagreeable dog ever (Especially in comparison to Cody) didn't help matters much.

When I finished my masters and got my own place, I started thinking about a dog again, but an apartment is no place for a GSD. I kept waiting and telling myself that when I got a house with a yard I would get another shepherd. Of course this didn't stop me from looking, though. I was actually searching for rescue German Shepherd organizations at work one day when I stumbled across a breeder's website and to my shock and amazement discovered that they bred shepherds AND corgis! The breeder described them as "big dogs in little bodies", so I started doing a bit of research, thinking any little dog that could run with a pack of shepherds was definitely worth investigating.

I liked what I read about them, and I started looking into breeders, as most of the corgi rescue organizations I found wouldn't consider me because I had never had a corgi before. But at the time, there weren't any puppies available in my area, and honestly, the idea of "preordering" a dog just didn't quite sit right with me (no offense to breeders with waiting lists) when there are so many dogs in need of homes right now, so I kept searching.

I found Caleb on petfinder.com. My first thought when I saw him was: Good grief he looks like a little tailless German Shepherd with a fox face! My next thought was: ok, how do I get this dog? If I'm being completely honest, there was something in his eyes in those three little pictures on petfinder that reminded me of Cody.

I emailed Pat, Caleb's guardian angel and rescuer, and found out that he had been picked up as a stray with another corgi but was going to be put down by the shelter because he tested positive for heartworm. Pat scooped up both corgis and posted his ad on petfinder before he had even begun treatment. I'm fairly certain I stumbled across his ad almost immediately after it was put up. I completed the interview process (Quite thorough, I might add!) the same day and Pat decided I could adopt him, even though I'd never had a corgi before.

I had to wait a month for the treatment to be completed, and when I started telling people what I was doing, they thought I was nuts. If I were in their shoes, I would have thought I was nuts too. Just to be perfectly clear: I adopted a dog I'd never seen in person, from a lady I'd never met in person, all over the internet. Because something about him reminded me of Cody. Now, I work in fraud investigations, and I do a lot of internet specific fraud investigations, so I should have been the LAST person to think this was a good idea. But, somehow I knew it was going to work. I did my homework, vetted Pat and her rescue organization as thoroughly as I could, and after numerous phone calls back and forth, felt assured that this was the right dog for me.

Though he won't admit it, I'm fairly certain my boyfriend didn't think there was going to be a dog waiting for me when I got to the airport, he was the most vocal naysayer of the bunch. But Caleb was there, and he has been the most amazing addition to my life. He could not be anymore perfect and I am completely and utterly head over heels in love with him. Caleb has won over all of the critics and the naysayers who thought I was nuts, including my boyfriend, and has proven himself to be the perfect pet. I cannot believe how close he was to being put down, or how blessed I was to stumble across this little guy.

I don't believe in reincarnation, but if I did, I'd say Cody and Caleb have the same sweet soul.
Oh my god! I was living with my roommate and she had this ugly dog that she loved a lot. I asked her what kind of dog was it, and she said it was a corgi mix. and I was like ok....

Then, she had a book of all kinds of dogs and took it and read it. When I saw a picture of the pure-bred corgi, I fell in love!!!!!!

I was like talking to my roommate's dog Buddy " You might be ugly, but your mom or dad must had been cute!"

Now, I live with my boyfriend, and of course, my boyfriend is the typical, "I am macho and I want a big dog like a Pit Bull, and blah blah blah." And I didnt care of what he said, but I got my corgi a few days ago, and he fell in love with her!!!!!

And since my dog is the best and cutest of all, she changed my boyfriend's mind about corgis. And so thats why I called her Superstar, because she is very lovable, cute, friendly and make everyone smile when everyone is sad!
I was actually working at a bookstore and one night we were all closing and just messing around by the magazines and on the cover of one there was an absolutely adorable corgi! I just could not believe how cute! So since we were allowed to borrow books from the store I checked out the only 2 corgi books we had in the store and started my research. I absolutely fell in love with the breed so I started looking for a breeder in Fl. I was getting really frustrated when I found one in Osteen which is only about an hour away from me I was soooo super excited. I contacted them and about a month later she had a litter available and my lil Zero was born! Such a handsome lil guy LoL Aug. 22nd he finally got to come home and now he is the ham of the family! I could not be happier that he is n my life I dont know how anyone lives without a corgi!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service