I took Scout (4 months) out back a little while ago. The neighbors have a great big Newfoundland. Both Scout and the Newfoundland were outside with only a fence to separate them. And believe me, that huge dog could have leapt over the fence if he tried. He's a very friendly dog, but he doesn't seem to like my Corgi around.

Anyways, the Newfoundland was barking frantically and wagging his tail. Scout slowly walked forward to investigate. The Newfoundland started barking more and more as Scout walked closer. I took a few steps forward and the Newfoundland snarled at me. It looked like he really wanted to beat my Pembroke up, but I'm not sure. He was barking like a dog does when you get too close to his yard, but he was wagging his tail at the same time. He looked like he wanted to jump the fence.

So I was wondering what's going on and what I should do. Does the Newfoundland just want to play or is he being territorial? I wonder If I should bring Scout around when the neighbor has the Newfoundland out for a walk. Maybe he'll be nicer if he's not in his own territory.

Views: 40

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I suspect you were right on when you guessed this boy was being territorial. Obviously he is not used to seeing a dog in the yard next to him and sees him as an intruder. Do you know what his temperament is like with other dogs? Does he have exposure to them? Does the neighbor ever take him places to be around other dogs? Newfies are generally easy going souls. I think you would do well to ask you neighbor some questions about their dog. If he is dog social it may do you well to arrange some walks together.
Could be territorial, also some talk tough with a fence in between than they would without, however I'm not by any means suggested introducing them without the fence in between. The wagging tail does not necessarily mean a happy dog. Meeting on a leash with owners present and walking at a safe distance is best, be sure they have good control of him
First, always choose to believe a dog is unfriendly if it snarls. Tail wagging doesn't mean a thing when you get the nasty Elvis lip from a dog. And Newfies generally aren't unfriendly dogs. If you are going to introduce them, be sure both are on a leash and well-controlled. Meet off territory for both - like a park. Allow the dogs a basic courtesy sniff and then praise them and back them away gently. It's important to keep the first meeting VERY positive. If you get a negative response, then quickly remove your dog from the situation. Don't coddle! Don't do the, "It's alright." behavior. Just move along. Then make a note to self not to let them interact.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service