sometimes Blaze gets some goop (aka ear wax) in his ears. . .what's the best way to clean his ears?? I use a q-tip (gently) but sometimes bits are stubborn. . . vet recommended white vinegar, friend recommended rubbing alcohol, but not sure. . .

Views: 920

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Probably do best to get a good ear wash. I use the larger size cotton balls, use the ear wash liberally on the cotton ball then clean the ear well. I follow up with a q-tip for the contoured area of the ears. Really is not typical for corgis to have waxy build up in their ears. I have used a combo of alcohol/vinegar but you must make sure the ears are not sore or irritated prior to using the alcohol.
When we first got Roxi her ears were disgusting. They had a nice pin outside for their pups but it was raining for a while before we came so she was extremely muddy when we brought her home hehe. They also brought them inside so it was basicly their play place during the day.
It took us a good month of once a week bathing to get all the brown gunk out of the crevices of her ears. I can't remember what product but our vet gave us a good sized bottle of ear cleaner that has worked wonders.

After a bath Chris would burrito her into her towel (so she couldn't wiggle and kick which could be damaging while I had a q-tip in her ear) and flip her over on his lap while I cleaned out her ears. With lots of treats and love she's become used to it (still fussy though).
This seems to be an easy way of doing it, its also easier to see inside if you flip the ears out while your doing it. Once you get the ears good and clean, this only takes a few moments every time afterwards since your only doing touch-ups :) Most of the time now we don't have to do anything.
Mia used to get a lot of dirt in her ears from swimming in the pond. I used an ear wash that I got from the vet applied liberally to a cotton ball. The vet said I could go as far into the ear as I wanted since anything that would cause harm would be too far in for my finger to reach. An added benefit is that the ear wash smelled really good too! It was some blue liquid in a squirt bottle.
If you're near a PetSmart, R-7 puts out an excellent ear wash. Just use a large cotton ball. It's not common to see corgis with a bunch of ear wax, but some corgis have more ear hair than others and that's an invitation to wax! If Blaze keeps shaking his head or pawing at his ears, let the vet have a look for mites.
no symptoms like that he just has some dried stuff and sometimes his ears smell a lil gross. . .and yes, he does have a lot of ear hair - like an old man - lol!! I'm not sure if his skin is spotted or that's ear wax??
Also with all the hair in Blaze's ears it also may be a yeast infection. If Blaze is allergic to inhalants yeast in ears can be one of the symptoms. Be sure to check with your vet. Good luck.
We also have a Beagle and Beagle's are prone to icky smelly ears with infections if not properly cleansed. Our vet gave us a good bottle of ear wash..I forget the brand but you can buy it too--for like $7. We are suppose to clean our Beagle's ears every other week. She is so feisty so gets it only about once a month but it seems to do the trick and keep the smell away. You can actualy smell when her ears are dirty.

The way he told us to put it in is to just squirt a few drops in each ear...rub th eears around and then towel off. Easier said than doen without them shaking their hed and getting it all over you. But our Corgi, Dylan likes it every once in awhile too. He's never had ear problems of any sort but once in a blue moon (about every 3 months) he'll get the ear wash, and it makes him run circles afterward! Besides that its normal dirt with a q-tip etc.
Puppy care book advises never to use q-tips. You can get dog ear lotion, add few drops, massage the ears a few minutes, then use cotton ball to wipe excess liquid. Book also advises getting your dog used to handling his ears, etc, by treats as he allows you to handle various body parts. Also, avoid getting water in ears when you bathe him.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service