I have read so much on puppy/dog training the past couple weeks that I probably can write my own book - even without the dog yet. In the Dog Whisperer early socialization is stressed and the potential for health risk before all vaccinations and immunizations is downplayed. Eight to fourteen weeks (as stated in the book) is the "primary socialization window". I'm confused. Any thoughts/imput on this would be appreciated - friend suggested visiting a couple friends w/dogs homes to socialize and wait for parks etc. until after final shots. Just throwing it out there -thanks!

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our dog club will accept pups starting at 12 weeks of age. I did quite a bit of research regarding the safety of vaccines at this time and have to say that some feel they are quite safe and others feel it is best to wait. In the ten years I have been with this dog club we have never had an issue with parvo. I would probably wish to avoid places such as dog parks, pet stores that the general public frequents. Heck, even going to the vet is not without risk as where does one bring sick animals? Our particular club only has dogs that have supplied proof of current vaccinations and is not open to the general public. This has worked well for all of my dogs.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service