OK, I have the classic situation with King, my new male 5 1/2 month Pembroke. He has been home for three days, does great sleeping all night (no potty break at 2 am), and has been very well behaved, has learned a few commands. However, he does want to sniff and tries to mark his territory in the house, when I let him in the living area to play, after he has already pottied outside. I try to keep his attention with toys, play, but he lasts only 5-10 minutes then goes sniffing.(two accidents so far). I have limited the play time, so there are no accidents, and place him in his area where he can see and hear us. We are so happy with his disposition. Am I doing the right thing? Any suggestions are welcome. We do not plan to neuter him, as I may show him, just for hobby activity.

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Natalie, King is quite young and his bladder is still developing, by 9 mos his bladder should be fully develop and able to hold for a longer period of time.

I would recommend you to establish a schedule with King, so that he knows when you will take him out at what time. It needs to be consistent everyday. You may also try bell training, teach him to ring the bell before you let him go out, so that eventually he'll know to ring to let you know when he wants to go out.

First thing you should do right now is clean the soiled area perfectly, I recommend you to use tissue to soak up all the urine until there isn't any, then soak the area with hydrogen peroxide, make sure you use it generously. I have used other commercial products and it seems like hydrogen peroxide worked best for me and it's the cheapest. If the stain is really old, try and use a Bissell "little green", I bought the model with heat option, it is the best small area carpet cleaning machine i've ever owned.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or others :)
At this tender age I really do not think the behavior you see is marking but more just not housebroken. If he was a kennel our outside pup prior to coming to your home he truly has no clue that he is not supposed to soil in the area in which he lives. I would treat his housebreaking as if he were an 8 week old pup. He needs to go out every hour, as soon as he wakes from a nap, as soon as he gets up in the morning and should be crated at night. When you bring him outside keep him on lead until he goes. Do not let him play until he does. Try to bring him to the same area to eliminate so he smells where he has gone before. Praise him when he goes. As for in the house I would recommend you put him on lead and tie him to you so he has to be with you every moment. This not only will help you supervise his activities but help create a nice bond. Do remember to make a verbal direction if you see him lift his leg. He does need to learn this is not an appropriate behavior. I typically say "outside" if I see the behavior and immediately take him out. Most will learn quickly with contsistency and supervision.
You may also find an intact dog a bit more bold and not as easy to live with. I surely think training and showing is lots of fun for many and a good outlet for your dog. Performance events offer a wide variety of activities that are good exercise and an outlet for training. Dogs do not need to be intact for any performance events. Good luck!
Sam's suggestion of hydrogen peroxide is a good one. The one I use is called "Get Serious." It's not only an enzyme product, but a pheromone remover. It can be used on all different types of floors and furniture. I thought it was just another one of those "tv infomercial" products, but when we picked it up at work I tried it. Good product.

Another thought was have you had previous dogs? If so, it may even at this young age be marking behavior. Around six months is when I usually see dogs in class start leg lifting. If you are going to keep him intact, leg lifting will be a pretty regular behavior. Focus on training him differently is key.

Verbal correction when he leg lifts. Bring him to where you want him to "go." Praise for going in the right spot. And clean the area well.

Good luck..

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service