The title says it all. Share a bit of your story.

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have always loved all dogs. I had never heard of a corgi untill my brother in law got one. Before I learned of the corgi, I always wanted a dog that didnt shed so much. My husband laughed at that thought!! He grew up with a sheltie and wanted a bigger dog. I always said when we did get a dog I wanted a small to medium sized dog that didnt shed, hehe and not a very big dog just because I would be the main caretaker of the dog and I dont have the strength for the big dogs. Well we ended up finding the corgi was the perfect dog for us. My husband got what he wanted in a dog....a sturdy dog and I almost got what I wanted.....a medium sized dog. Of course the corgi has so many other awesome qualities that we both just love so much..... I have to say that you do get used to the shedding because they are so loveable, it makes it that much bearable. My husband also wanted a bigger dog than I did and he definetly gets that with a corgi, with their personality and big bark.
Well the real reason I am a Corgi fan is Queen Elizabeth II. I have always been a Royal watcher and when I saw the many dogs following her around on the grounds, I just fell in love with these dogs. They are the most adorable dogs I have ever seen! Also, my daughter Olivia has Down Syndrome and as an added bonus, Corgi's are very good herding dogs and help keep her in check when we are outside playing. Corgi's are good with kids, which I love also. Lily Bart is adorable and has such a personality like I have not experienced in a dog. Corgi's are amazing and full of so much spunk too! How can a person NOT love Corgi's!!!
Oh I agree! Everyone hears about Roxi and goes "why did you get a little tailless dog? I thought you hated rat dogs..." and then they meet her and its instant love lol.
MY GRANDMOTHER MADE ME THE CORGI NUT I AM TODAY.SHE CAME TO CANADA AS A WAR BRIDE AND WAS ALWAYS WATCHING OUR LOCAL BROADCASTING COMPANY,THE CBC,WHEN THEY HAD SPECIALS ON THE ROYAL FAMILY.GAURANTEED THERE WAS ALWAYS A CORGI IN THOSE SPECIALS.IJUST LOVED THE WAY THEY SEEMED TO ALWAYS BE BY THE QUEEN AND QUEEN MUMS SIDE.THEY WERE JUST SO ENCHANTING,I KNEW AT AGE FIVE I WAS GOING TO BE OWNED BY IF NOT ONE BUT A WHOLE HERD OF CORGIS.AND I'M WELL ON MY WAY TO HAVING A WHOLE HERD,OOPPS I MEAN PACK!!!
I decided I wanted a dog in high school and my parents were really against it... for whatever reason.. but I got my mom to warm up to the idea enough where she was researching breeds and trying to decide the best one for our family (nice of her to exclude me, huh?). She finally told me a few months later that she had picked out a corgi and we were going to get one... and that was Andy.. Corgis are just sooo intelligent-- I love SMART dogs--- friendly---sociable---protective---loving---hilarious....honestly, how can you have any other breed of dog after you've had a corgi?? They're just loving adorable bunnybutts.
I was thinking about getting a dog, and posted on an Internet forum I frequent asking for advice. Several posters talked about corgi's and what good and smart dogs they were. I did some checking on the breed and decided they fit what I wanted!
We were talking about getting a dog for quite a while. Of course we had different ideas about what we wanted, but we knew we wanted a smaller dog that wasn't "yappy", would get us out walking and be a good travel companion. So I went on a web site where you could check off all the traits that you are looking for in a dog and they will suggest breeds with the plusses and minuses. I'd seen corgis on the dog shows and knew they were really cute, so in researching personality, upkeep, etc. I convinced my husband this is the one we should get. So I kept my eyes open for one (not a lot of breeders in our area) and one day saw an ad for a good price, family / farm raised puppy. He was the last one left and I had to drive about 90 minutes to get him, but instantly fell in love, brought him home that day and I'm hoping to call them and see if they'll have another litter this year (trying to talk hubby into a 2nd one). Brody has definitely lived up to our expectations and we absolutely love having him.
It all started when my Dad invited me and my kids to watch him run his Border Collie at a local Agility event. We said sure, more time with Grandpa...yay! While we were waiting for Wylie to run, the shorter dogs were going. We saw the cutest little dogs jumping over bars and running through tunnels. We asked Dad what kind of dogs those were; the kids and I fell in love with Corgis that day!

We searched and searched for a rescue or humane society corgi for the longest time with no luck. One day we found a corgi mix and went to see him. He was at our local Marine base's shelter. The only "problem" was his age - they suspected he was 10 or 11. Too old for agility (which my daughter wanted to train her new dog in), but we could not bear to leave him, especially after learning he was on "the short list" (you know what I mean). So we brought Bruce home. He became my dog, as he refuses to leave my side. He's 13 or 14 now, probably mixed with Norwegian Elkhound. I love him to bits! However, my daughter was now without "her" dog and no agility dog either.

We continued to look for two more years and finally conceded that we would have to find one through a breeder. Even those are hard to find in Southern Calif! We finally found our Sidney! We drove almost 2 hours to go get him. He's 9 months old now, so smart and cute. He has totally bonded with my daughter and will start agility training this summer, after he turns 1 year old.
I actually went to one of those sites where you take a quiz on your lifestyle, and presto! you have the dog breeds that work for you. It was down to a corgi and a Brittany spaniel...not even a competition, man. Obviously the corgi was much spunkier, and if it was good enough for QE2, it was good enough for me!

I was worried about the barking factor, but Skittles is practically mute. What none of my reading discussed, however, was the shedding! That was a nice surprise. Haha, but I do get pleasure pulling those little tufts out of her haunches. My little Skits is a nutter, but I love her and her stubby little legs and occasional yodling barks and high-speed runs, etc.
My parents have corgi's
Seriously? The short legs did it for me. I still love watching Griff scoot around on those fat little paws :)
hophophophop! Have to love watching the different ways they move with them!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service