I have a 13 week old puppy and the question is how long a brisk walk she should be taking so early. I want her to get the maximum exercise possible, but not crossing the line where there will be future health problems. Any suggestions?

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bet she'll let you know. As I remember puppy days, they would just stop when they got tired. Many times, I carried them home.
Guage it much like you would guage yourself if you were starting a new physical activity. Start small, maybe 15 to 20 minutes. Make observations about how she feels when she comes home, if she crashes to sleep, seems overly thirsty and such. If she seems just comfortable the next day add five minutes. She will build her strength and stamina as she goes. Do listen to her though, depending on how the weather is in your area you may have variables that may have an effect on her. Have fun!
Thank you Carol and Sam :) Walking her about 20 min. a time and it just seems to relax her . She is so good once she starts.It's funny , at first she doesn't want to do it ( We live in Oregon) but then really enjoys it ")
Good advice all around! I tell my classes to start new pups at 20-30 minutes, but to be aware of your dog and how they are doing on the walk. Also, be sure not to let her drag you. I hope you are signing up for training lessons! :-)
Brynn walks for about 20 to 30 min. ,then sits down and we carry her after that . She is so good , she walks behind me or at my side , never does she drag me . I read about that one ! We are going to take her to school as soon as she is done with her shots .She really is a princess , she seems upset when people don't want to pet her . She is such a Diva ! Last night we took her to Starbucks and she was so polite to everyone .
Oh how fun! Don't you just love it when folks get a kick out of your puppy? If possible, try to adjust your walks so you don't carry her much. Dogs get used to that. And Corgis are such little manipulators! I swear each of ours are smarter than we are! But they will quickly learn that being carried is better than walking. :-)

LOL Tell me about it ! I have only carried her twice , and it was for the last few blocks .I am getting to know her mood and how far she will go .Brynn kinda reminds me of me with my own parents ! I guess what comes around goes around :)
I talked with my Vet . and she told me to not jog with Brynn until she gets older . She said it could hurt her joints ,and bones later in life . Letting her chase me down the block she said was fine .Walking her really helps her outlook on life :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service