I just recently joined this group in the hopes that someone may have some answers for me in regard to a serious health concern that happened to Buddy right before Christmas. When I came home from work he appeared to be staggering as if he were drunk. Upon further evaluation it appeared he was partially paralyzed in his back legs-predominantly the right hind quarter. The three vets I took him to are puzzled. He is currently on cortizone and pain killers. I did some research and it sounds like Intervertebral Disc Disease-apparently common in corgis. Has anyone else run into this? Any advice?

Views: 8839

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One day around Easter 2008 Carmel was running and catching frisbees, the next she was dragging her legs. The vet did a check on her hind feet that he said showed DM. He felt that we didn't need to go through the cost of the xray's and mri's because of the test he did and the fact that she was overweight. I still feel we should have had them done to rule out hip displasia or other leg probs first. (She had knee surgery as a puppy after getting caught up in Florida's floritam runner grass). We had ramps set up for her to get into the house. The vet gave us some pills that did wonders for her in the beginning, but he cautioned that they had their own side effects. When she was not on the pills she couldn't move well. She still wanted to chase the frisbee and bring in the paper. We were looking into the carts, but after Christmas, she began to lose the use of her front legs. We had to carry her in and out for potty time. Eventually she had to be held up to eatand drink. She couldn't make the outside trips anymore, which you could tell bothered her more than anything else. She had always been a very clean dog and would always let us know if she needed a wet one to clean up, so the confinement was awful for her. We finally asked the vet to put her out of her misery in Feb 2009. The vet said she had the beginnings of kidney failure, pneumonia and possible spleen cancer. She would have been 14 in June.
You know, when you think about myelin degeneration, it makes one think of diseases like MS.
Isn't this the same as Multiple Sclerosis?
I'm sure he forgives you. Our corgi was so miserable at the end you could see it in her eyes. It was almost like she was accusing us of making her have to stay in one place and when we had to lift her to eat and drink she got very mad. She wasn't the same sweet lovable girl and it tore my heart out. She would look at us as if begging us to let her run around and go potty on her own terms. We had her cremated and she came home in a pink drawstring bag with a tuft of her fur attatched. They gave us a certificate and a copy of the rainbow bridge poem. My husband got a clear jar with a vaccuum seal top and we put her remains, her collar, and photos in it. It was placed near the corgi statue (which looked just like her) over our TV so she will always be with us in spirit. In fact, our new puppy glances up to the jar daily as if they are talking. It is odd and touching.
Our Lucy fell down the stairs when she was a pup and hurt her shoulder. She seemed fine until she was about a year old and couldn't walk to the street corner. Our breeder suggested a chiropractor she uses for her horses. He is a God-send. He fixed her shoulder so she can walk with us again. She can't do agility like I wanted but she can go on walks without pain.
MaryAlice Musante
I personally don't have a corgi with this disease but read a artical about it in a dog mag. it is common, but livable the artical talked about hand made carts that you can order and use to give your corgi unrestricted movement back. Go to u-tube and type in corgi's with wheelchairs there are plenty of videos showing corgis frollicking with them.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service