I recently found out that some breeders have the Pembroke tails docked. I was completely unaware that this still happens to any breed and thought that all Pembrokes were born with the short tails. Does anyone know more about this? Honestly it made me sick to my stomach to think that little Gonzo could have had his tail chopped off as a puppy.

Views: 7175

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

"Any backyard breeder thinking that Corgis look better in any form outside the established standards and breeds to their own personal ideal is being totally arrogant, irresponsible, and should be avoided." This sounds very hypocritical to me. You say that anyone who thinks Corgis look "better" in any form outside the established standards is wrong. But who made those standards in the first place? Aren't we following that personal ideal? Why can't the "established standards" be how an animal looks naturally instead of how it is forced to look? It seems there is no reason to dock other than that's "how a Pembroke should look." I'm not for or against docking - I understand that the "standards" for the breed are to have a short bob tail, and I love Gonzo's little black stub. That is fine with me if the dog is going to be a show dog. But to be honest, I would rather keep an animal in its natural state.
The hypocrisy lies with people who claim to love a breed, then choose to independently "redesign" the breed by producing out-of-standard types. It's not ethical. The way to change a breed standard would be for breeders to join the regional or national breed clubs, and exert some influence among the people who do responsibly set and maintain (or decide to change) the standard. Having "one-off" breeders deciding to do their own tweaking because of personal preference does not affect the standard. It just mutates and dilutes the integrity of the breed.
"The hypocrisy lies with people who claim to love a breed, then choose to independently "redesign" the breed by producing out-of-standard types."

Then you could also say that people claim to love the Pembroke Welsh Corgi - unless it has a long tail, then it has to be "redesigned" by docking.
"Then you could also say that people claim to love the Pembroke Welsh Corgi - unless it has a long tail, then it has to be "redesigned" by docking."

Huh? No, I could not really say that. Not with a serious look on my face anyway. : - )
lol
Again, not that I'm against docking - I just don't see why it's so necessary if it's only going to be a family dog.
Hello, here in Belgium, and some other european countries it is forbidden by law to dock of tails.
Pems have very beautiful fox-tail like tails and they don't hurt other animals or people with it. Because it is not common, the natural "bob tails" are wanted by some people. Others like me, loves the tails more.
Maybe it is time to change the law in your country too!!
"To an extent it is true that all breeds we see today are man made - certain traits were selected for in order for the animal to do a task that was needed by man."
Yes, people select dogs that display certain traits to breed them. I see no problem with that. But you have to admit that there is a difference between breeding a dog to be a certain way and actually changing it after it is born.

"Originally Pems were a NATURALLY bobbed tailed animal - so bobbed/docked IS NATURAL for them."
It was natural for them - Gonzo's tail was docked, therefore naturally he had a long tail.

"predictable behaviors, temperament, personality and LOOKS."
Looks were not even high on our list. We wanted a small to medium sized dog that would be good with people and smart. Oh, and we wanted him to have fur. I didn't care if he had a tail. We only picked Pembrokes because they are typically a little smaller than Cardigans and tend to have slight differences in personality.

"IF one doesn't like ALL that is entailed in a breed being the way it is, then I respectfully suggest they find another breed or look to the shelter population for their next dog."
A breed "the way it is" means how it was born, at least to me. If a tail is docked or ears trimmed, that is "the way it was forced to be."
Well, seeing the state of the world today, there are a lot more important things to be depressed about.

There are some stong passionate feeling roiling around in this thread, but that is fine. We can have a mutually respectful exchange of ideas and thoughts, or we can try to get our point across by bullying, but in the end we should all be able to have our say regarding this seemingly highly contentious issue.

Whether this country's laws and feelings change to match our European brothers and sisters, or whether we remain attached to a standard that no longer has a truly useful purpose (in my own personal and highly unprofessional opinion), the fact that remains is that the corgi is a wonderful, sweet, smart and loving breed of dog, and all of us here feel very strongly about how much we love them in return, tails or no.

Without being openminded to change, we may still be speaking with British accents and having our mid-day tea rather than a morning Starbucks run. Individuals might not have the equal rights they deservedly have today based on race or religion. Okay, its a stretch, but the strong feelings expressed here have really gotten me to thinking about it.

I enjoy going to corgi get-togethers and seeing all the variations in Pembrokes, Cardigans and the very interesting mixed breeds (I rescued one, a very old corgi/elkhound. He's awesome and the dog closest to my heart, ever. I will be devastated when he passes on to the Rainbow Bridge; God willing that is many years away). What they all have in common is they are deeply loved; for all the rest I say Viva la diferencia!
*applause* Well said!
Well said indeed :) I hope that we can all agree to disagree, respect other's opinion and let them make their own individual decisions.
I agree, I'll let this one rest! Let's move on to happy corgi conversations! Like how much I giggle when I see Gonzo's little black tail wobbling back and forth when he's really excited, lol
You seemed to have missed my statement earlier when I said I'm not against docking - I know it's necessary if it's really going to be a working dog or a show dog. I have just a family dog. I have never had an interest in having a show dog and I do not have a need for a herding dog. We picked a Pembroke for the personality type, etc. Not for his bob tail, as adorable as it is. Honestly, it grossed me out at first!
And I think your quotes are inaccurate. You are focusing on extremes. I am fine with breeding an animal to try to get more desirable traits, as long as it is done safely, so no, I am not against the breeding of animals.
And I am certainly not saying that we shouldn't preserve a breed or let anything go extinct.
Some of you keep bringing up breeding - I am not talking about breeding at all! I am talking about the natural state of a Pembroke Welsh Corgi and docking.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service