This is a question I get asked frequently "What can I expect to pay for a corgi puppy" The answer may surprise you. Typically I find that pet shops ask the highest of prices. I have been made aware of pricing up to $1,800. Be aware of those that advertise "rare" in that the color is different, size is different and such. Usually this signifies a dog that does not measure to the breed standard. You would never wish to pay more for this pup. Different colors, eye colors, coat types and sizes do appear but does in no way constitute "rare". While they may make good pets this would be no reason to pay more.
Reputable breeders prices may range from $800.00 to $1,200.00 depending on your geographic location. Casual breeders or production breeders often have the least expensive price ranging from $300 to $800.00.
People often ask "why the big range in price?" or "I dont want a show dog, why should I go to a breeder that shows?" This may enlighten you. Most reputable breeders do show their dogs. Usually one or both of the parents are finished CH. While for many it is a hobby to show it does not come without big expense. This is also a way that breeders continue to educate themselves regarding the breed. Most reputable breeders do health testings, OFA (hip evaluation) CERF (eye evaluation) and vWd (testing for a blood disorder) This too adds expense. Reputable seeks out what they hope will be a complimentary sire to their upcoming litter. Stud fees for well bred, health tested, finished dogs comes at a big price. Reputable breeders test for transmissable diseases before before breeding. You can imagine these expenses add up quickly. Reputable breeders will have a wide ranging contract guaranteeing health and the desire to have the dog returned at any time should you not be able to keep them. They are also there for guidance throughout the life of the dog.
Pet shops usually purchase their pups at a price between $100 and 250.00 dollars depending on the amount of pups and frequency of purchase. While they provide pedigrees of their pup once one learns to read a pedigree it truly is of little value in dogs that have not been selectively bred. You will find the guarantee/contract offered does little to protect you. Usually very little knowledge of the breed is known by the representative nor any breed support after purchase.
Casual/production breeders usually have the sire and dam on the premises. You will find that none of the genetic testing has been performed. You will find a pedigree that contains few or no dogs that have been shown or genetically tested. While some raise their pups in the comforts of their home and introduce them to all the usual household noises, expose them to children, handling and different surfaces, begin crate training, housebreaking and walking on lead, many others leave them in a kennel environment with little to no exposure and training.
Beware of phrases such as "my dogs do not have any health problems so I dont test" This information can only be known if tests are done and in some cases if the parents have been tested. Most dogs that are bred in these situations are younger than the ages that is suitable to be tested. Beware of those that advertise CH bloodlines.....one or two dogs several generations back does not constitute a selective breeding program. Beware of ads that say "proven sire". Find out what that means. Most intact males can produce offspring....this proves nothing. Beware of those that say Sire DNA tested. This is a requirement of the AKC frequent sire program. It only describes that the sire is probably used frequently.
I hope this information helps you make knowledgeable choices when seeking a new pup for your family.

Views: 75

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Phew! I just read both posts on puppy buying/pricing :)

Just saying a thank you for people like you who care enough to toss information out like this. It really helps out a lot and is a great post/s to point people to now!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service