- "Bang!" and "shoot" him and he plays dead
- "Circles! Circles!": he runs in a circle
- Speak- well duh
- Lay down
- Jump
- Gimme five
- Sit
- Stay
- "Come here": jumps on the sofa (which he will only do when he knows he's getting a treat, any thoughts on that would be appreciated).

He is so smart and learns tricks so fast and loves to learn, but I can't think of anything cool enough to teach him anymore. Like really unique tricks... He's getting bored with all the old ones, and I'm stuck. So what do you and your baby do? HELP!!!

On that same note, I'm having major issues. Little Bear is beyond spoiled. I mean, the kid has a seatbelt. He goes everywhere with me. And because of that (I think), he does not understand the phrase "come here" or even know his own name! I live in an apartment and it's relatively small, so we're always together whether he likes it or not (lol). But when I take him to the dog park, he doesn't respond to "come here" or even his NAME when I call! And I'm befuddled! I want to be able to walk him off the leash one day, but how can I when he won't LISTEN? It's so aggravating, I'm just stumped. How do I teach him to come here even though he responds to treats ONLY on the couch only? Lost lost lost...

Oh yeah, and still, whatever tricks you guys do.

A side note: He can stay and I'll go hide and he'll come to me when I call, but it's like he's so defiant he IGNORES me when he hears it normally (I've tried everything I can think of, believe me!!!). Oh, and he will actually come, but it's only when I'm walking away from him when we're in the dog park.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe instead of a new trick a new game, like hide and go seek where you'd hide a toy or something? That'd be good for some mental stimulation.
Hi,
Maybe you can teach him to bring in the newspapers every morning. I've watched movies where the dog did that.
How do you teach your dog to do tricks like that? I have mine on hand signals for sit, down, and stay but beyond that I have no idea how to teach anything else!
To try and answer your question. You might want to try and getting lots of little bitty treats. Take him to the dog park (on leash) and whistle. As soon as you whistle give him a treat. Do it 10+ times in a row. Try taking a few steps back and doing it another 5-10 times. Keep working at it like that. In theory this should work. You seem to be much more on top of things though than I am though.
In the obedience class I used to teach we used the "hide and seek" game. Have someone in the house hold your dog and you go hide. Call him and say COME. As he seeks you out and finds you make this a happy moment. The come command is probably the toughest one to proof. The biggest mistake folks make with this command is trying it out in an area where they can not enforce it. One typically chases the dog to catch them which turns in to a fun game of chase........fun for the dog. Start training the come command in an area with little distractions and small space. Good to have a small treat reward.....corgis can rarely pass those up. As he becomes more consistent add more distractions and space. You may find a flexi-lead helpful in areas that lack confinement. Practice, practice, practice. You need to make yourself far more interesting than anything around you. Good luck!
How did you teach the "bang" "Shoot"? i would love to teach Bindi that!
years ago when we first got Mocha, we took him to petsmart classes, during the class we practice the command watch me, when ever the dog watches me, he gets a treat, also whenver he responded with his own name, he gets a treat. Also like Sam mentioned, have someone hold littler bear, and you go hide, when he finds you, give him a treat, be consistent and practice, in no time he'll come when you call his name. you can also try the clicker, we use the clicker as the ultimate emergency "remote control" when the clicker is sound, he comes right back and expect a treat.

Some of the tricks that we've taught so far:

sit
stay
lay down
on your back
roll over
jump (jump up or hop)
over (jump or hop over something)
bang
wait
leave it
go find it (where we hide treats through out the house and tell him to go find them)
treat on the nose
ball (where he needs to use his nose to touch the ball and then come back)
fetch
high five
shake
left (where he sit on my left side)
right
3-2-1 (when 1 is pronounced, he must leave everything and follow where i go, it works well when he's marking every tree in the neighborhood)
touch (where he jumps up and touch my hand)
drink (works very well when he's too caught up in playing in the dog park and forget about hydration)
watch me (look at me on command)
settle (clam down on a sit or lay down position and wait to be petted)
this way (when the dog is taking the other walk route)
The other way (when his leash got tangle with a tree)
Ring (ring the bell to let us know when he needs to go)

some of the tricks that i would love to have one day:

beer (open the fridge and get me a bottle)
go bug Silvia
Bark
Bite him
shower ( go and wash himself)
haha, sam, You wanna borrow Bindi for a bit and teach her some of those?! :)
ha ha ha, one of these days when i have a lot of time, I would like to make a DVD :) lets see if Silvia and I can do that by the end of this year :) (Fingers crossed)
Sam that's amazing they can do all that . Really funny about getting a beer and taking a shower :) Brynn can
Sit
down
wait
leave it
and the best of all is No bite ! Being almost 14 weeks i thought she would never stop .She is really smart and a fast learner , it's just me making the time to teach her. Good luck everyone
The touch command can help you in many ways. Teach Mocha to "touch" the fridge. With repetition this should not be too difficult. Teach a "touch" to a small rope. Teach a tug command. Then put the rope on the fridge handle. Soon you may be able to get Mocha to open it. Getting the actual beer may be tricky but with imagination I am sure you can figure it out. You may also find you would love clicker training. Dogs seem to get it pretty quickly and it easily marks behaviors.
That's a great idea Sam! Tying a rope to the handle.... hmmmm..... now i'm VERY interested...... he he he :)
I have the same problem with Gonzo not responding to "come." When we're in the house he's fine with it (few distractions). But outside he will only come if I have treats, even if I don't give them to him, haha. When we brought Gonzo to the vet for his first checkup, she told us she could tell he was going to be a stubborn dog...and he is.

Here are the "tricks" Gonzo knows:
Come (he knows it, but doesn't always like it)
Sit
Stay
Go get it! - I frequently use this when we are playing fetch type games
Where's the ball? - This makes him find any toy, usually the ball. Especially helpful if the toy we have been using has become slobbery.
Bring it here - I say this mostly outside when we're throwing a stick because he likes to run after them and chew on them. Usually I'll say "Bring it here" and he'll drop the stick and come to me. Maybe I need to make this my "come" command? lol
Hide and seek - I throw a toy and quickly hide somewhere. He usually finds me, but I will have to start calling him to teach him to come.
Drop it
Jump (to jump up to get a toy above his head)
We also play keep away, where he'll run from us with anything in his mouth (toy, stick, leash)
He rings a bell when he wants to go outside
Kisses

Here is a trick I just found online:
Buy painter's tape because it doesn't have a lot of adhesive on the back. Put a piece of it on your dog's nose and they will try to wipe it off with one paw when they are standing, both paws if they are lying down. Find a good command that goes with it, such as "Who let off the stinky?" Eventually you will be able to remove the tape and the dog will place his paws over his face when you ask "Who let off the stinky?"

I'm sure a lot of you have seen that video of the golden retriever dancing to the Grease song too. I'm not sure I'd have the time or patience to do that!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service