i have a corgi that is teething right now and i just noticed that two of his front teeth are missing is that suppose to happen ???????

Views: 5981

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, it is perfectly normal for puppies to lose their baby teeth. I'm not sure what age your puppy is but they can start to loose them around 6 months of age, or so. Hope this helps.
thanks that does help i was really worried that i was going to have a toothless pup running around ! hes like 4 or 5 months old
Oh yes its perfectly normal :) Just like real kids lol.

Try giving him some ice and soak a small towel in water and freeze it.. it will sooth his soar mouth. A lot of dogs have this love for just plane old ice though rarely some you have to hoax them with frozen treats inside. Fat free treat if you don't have to ;) They can't tell the dif! bwahahhah!
Also give him some soft toys for now instead of hard bones and such which will hurt to gnaw down on. Frozen peanut butter in a kong or just plane ol' rubber lol.

I say frozen items just because the cold will sooth his mouth and the towel/peanut butter will eventually soften but stay cold as he gnaws down on it. Don't forget to take the towel away eventually if you do this ;)
During teething, they will want to chew on anything they can get their mouth onto so I would recommend nylabones for them at this stage. It helps to clean their teeth, prevents tartar and good exercise for their jaws. I was advised that nylabones was a much better choice than rawhides.
when this started happening to bindi we were really worried too! she looked so funny toothless. Right before this happened she was chewing a rock or something and broke her tooth and had to have it pulled. But dont worry every tooth is back now at 9 months old.
The joys of parenthood !!!
I appreciate you posting this, as I just noticed ranger's left canine (fang?) is missing... we played ball the other day and I noticed the ball had some red on it, but I thought he'd gotten into something. Turns out it was blood from losing the tooth. I was starting to feel the same thing about having a toothless pup running around.
How old is Ranger? You want to make sure his baby canine (yes, fang) was knocked completely out and not broken off. If the tooth broke (which is not terribly uncommon), you'll want a vet to remove the root. If the root is still there, it can get infected and the infection can spread and cause damage the permanent adult tooth.

Puppies should loose their incisors (little front teeth) first, starting around 4 months. Next, they lose the premolars in the back. The last baby teeth to come out should be the canines (fangs).

All baby teeth should be out and replaced by adult teeth between 6 and 7 months.
Ranger is just under 6 months. He's got a vet trip coming up in the next few weeks anyway, so I plan to have it checked out.
At 6 monts, he probably did lose the entire baby canine normally. He has likely lost all of his other baby teeth too, and you just didn't notice. :) They tend to swallow a lot of the baby teeth. I only found 3 of Charlie's teeth - the rest "mysteriously" disappeared.

For the next month, he'll start cutting molars ( puppies have premolars, but not molars) so you'll see him chewing a lot with his back teeth!
Well, he just lost the upper right canine today. His lower left is gone as well. The only baby canine we're waiting on is the lower right. Which is slowly being moved outward by his adult lower right, so I don't think it will be much longer. Once again many thanks for the knowledge and advice!
Foxi is around 6 months and has been loosing her teeth left and right but they grow back farely quick, she has not lost her baby canines yet but I have to say I wont miss them when they do fall out cuz they are very sharp!!!!! haha! I think its kinda funny when my kids find the teeth around the house. I'm sure that she has also swallowed a few. I think thats probably normal with most puppies.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service