So, I adopted a 3 year old corgi exactly 7 days ago. Bandit is a rescue dog, and he has only ever lived on horse farms.

I live in the city, and he has never been around concrete, buses, and city noises and smells. It's a big adjustment for him, but he's getting more comfortable every day.

He is a very good little guy and we have no trouble with him. Except, he won't pee. He holds his urine for a few days and then finally eliminates outside when he can't hold it any longer. He doesn't mark any spots on our walks, and I take him to a grassy, wooded park on a long lead each day. When he does pee outside, it's usually a long one, and we praise him and give him treats.

He did have an accident in the house this past weekend which we found later that day, and did start to have an accident in the house the next day, and I immediately put him outside, but he didn't finish peeing.

The vet ruled out anything medical, but they are stumped, and he begins obedience training this weekend - the trainer is also stumped. I'm stumped too! He has no problem drinking and eating and he happily poops outside. He just won't pee!

Please any suggestions? Or at least calm me down since I am so worried?

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe he has a really, really, really large bladder! LOL

That is a stumper, but if your vet didn't find any physical reason, then I guess I wouldn't worry about it. Pretty odd though, I'll give you that.
My dogs definatley have to find the right "spot" to pee. Can you try taking him out for short time periods fairly frequently, and just let him sniff, maybe without the expectation that he has to pee. Then maybe he will surpise you, and mark a spot some other dog has been to.
This is difficult. Many dogs dont feel comfortable eliminating while on lead. Many dont like to do so in strange places. I think as his comfort level rises so will his ability to urinate more frequently. I would try to lead him to the closest place he has eliminated in the past. They often will smell the area then get the idea. Next best thing is to find a place that other dogs have eliminated. Many dogs like to "mark" over that area.
I would also come up with a command that you will use each time you wish him to eliminate. Use this word as soon as you go outside. When he finally does go praise, praise, praise. As he gets a tad more regular try to limit his walking activity until he does go. Much like pups he may learn that holding it will encourge you to continue walking and walking. Eliminate first then walk.
Lastly it may be helpful for you to bring a small towel and zip lock bag along. Soak up some urine and but it in the ziplock. Next outing put this in the area you wish him to eliminate. He may get the message.
Lastly do know that holding urine for long periods of time can lead to urinary tract infections. The sooner he learns to eliminate regularly the healthier his bladder will stay.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service