At some point this year, I hope to have Charlie trained well enough to get his CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certificate.

My main concern is that one of the ten tests is for the dog to allow a stranger to brush the dog, inspect the ears and lift the paws.

I brush Charlie with a slicker then comb him every day. He does not however kick back and enjoy it. I do think he likes being brushed, but it seems to be over-stimulating for him. He thinks brushing is a game. He gets so excited that brushing is about the only time he will mouth my hands (but does not bite down). I also let him sniff and bite the brush, as that seems to calm him enough for me to get a few more brush strokes. He's fairly wriggly too. If I quit brushing, he does nudge me for more. He's just not calm.

I'm afraid that during the CGC test, if he mouths the testers hands, bites the brush, and doesn't hold still, then we won't pass. Has anyone had success changing your dog from "Over-excited, hyper-active to be brushed" to "Calm and collected to be brushed"? Or has anyone's Corgi acted like this and still passed the CGC test?

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fortunately, we didn't have to do this one for our CGC with Tank. But he did have to tolerate being petting quite clumsily. He's pretty good with a brush, though. Usually, what I suggest in training is working with treats or toys. When you brush, use them to encourage him to tolerate it more and more. He will begin to associate the good of treats with the brushing. Also, do as much handling of his paws and ears as possible. Use the same training method. Oh, and the treats don't have to be big milkbones. Just simple small soft treats are good. They aren't filling and if they're natural, you won't have to worry about chubbyness!
I may try using treats. It hasn't really bothered me for him to mouth and play with me and the brush and jump around. I do still manage to get every part of him brushed in 5-10 minutes. I figured that if he's having fun, and I'm accomplishing getting his coat groomed, then all is well. It wasn't until yesterday when I was reviewing the CGC items, that I realized that our brush-time play (that I have allowed) could be an issue on him becoming an official "good citizen".

I haven't been using treats, because he sees the brush and starts hopping around like "Oh boy! Oh boy! The brush game!" I'll try some treats and see if I can get him to calm down a bit. I also wondered about trying a different type of brush that might be less stimulating than the slicker.

You make good points for everyone on handling paws and ears. My grooming schedule is brushing coat every day, brushing teeth every other day, trimming toenails and cleaning ears every weekend, trimming fur between pawpads about twice a month, and bathing only when he's stinky. When I brush him daily, I also look in his ears, look in his mouth, and massage his paw pads. He's used to being "inspected", so any trips to the vet should be much easier on him (and on the vet).
I don't remember doing this part for our CGC test either, do you have any neighbors that will be able to help you train to brush him? so that he can get used to being brush by a stranger?
It would be nice if whoever the CGC Tester ends up being would let us slide on the brushing section of the test.

My neighbor's can help me with brushing (though they are not really strangers to Charlie anymore). He might think it "strange" though for them to brush him, so that's a good idea too. Next time we go visit them and their dogs, I'll take Charlie's brush. It would be funny if he were to sit perfectly still for them and not bounce about playfully like he does with me. :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service