So I am still waiting for my puppy's arrival when the breeder called me and told me that she can't ship him quite yet because he has got mytes from going to the groomer. Does that sound normal to you? Do you have any experience with that? Should i be nervous? The breeder said she's taken the puppy to the vet and got shots for him but he won't be able to be shipped to me until next week now. Is there anything I should be aware of if something like that happens?

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no i talked to my vet about mytes,,,ear mites...and she said it is very normal with pups because they cuddle and is transmitted from ear to ear so we just put ear medicine in for 2 weeks..it is a little uncomftorble for the pups because of itching biut it is normal
So do i have to keep his ears cleaned fon a frequent routine?
well if they are dirty, clean them but you will need to bring him to the vet to get the medicince you use it ofr one week...then dont use it for a week...then use it again for another week...my pups ears were dirty for the first like 3 days and then they stayed clean
There are different types of mites. The only type that the pup might have picked up at a groomer are Scabies Mites (also called Sarcoptic mites, or red mange). They can live off a dog at room temperature for several days. The other two types of mites have to have dog-to-dog contact...from the mother dog to the litter.

Ear mites are treatable, but the pup and rest of the litter most likely got them from the mother dog's ears.

The other type are Demodex mites (demodectic mange). They are usually passed on by the mother while nursing, but the first signs don't show up until the pup is around 3-4 months. This can become a tough one. If the mange becomes generalized it can take 4 to 14 treatments to get under control. Puppies with Demodex mange should not be bred because these type of mites develop in puppies/dogs with supressed immune systems.

Ask the breeder what type of mites the pup has. Scabies or ear mites I wouldn't worry too much about. If they are Demodex mites, they can probably be cured as well, but the dog may have poor skin and a poor immune system. In any case, I would take the pup to your own vet upon arrival to check that no mange or mites still remain.
Ear mites would not be typically picked up from a grooming session but rather from the mother dog and other pups. I would'nt really call it normal as this is something that should have been treated prior to offering these pups as being available. Hopefully a veterinarian report will be included with what vaccines your puppy has received as well as the diagnosis of his ears and the medication used. This will be helpful if you need follow up treatment for his ears. This will also help your vet know when his next vaccination in his series is due and what to give.
Corgi ears are generally pretty clean though when grooming one should check them regularly. Having dirty ears frequently may be a sign of a further problem.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service