I am a new owner of an eight week old corgi she hasnt arrived will be here Saturday I need advice on types of crates, toys, food, etc!!!! I think I have done to much research on the web and have confused myself on what is best for the new addition to our family PLEASE HELP!!! any advice is appreciated!

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congratulations!!! I bet your very anxious for her arrival!!!!!

When I got my corgi at 10 weeks the breeder provided me with alot of information such as food type and quantity, vaccination records. Dont be affraid to ask these questions of the person your getting your new puppy from, they should know theses things as they have been caring for your puppy this far. As for toys, I kinda went crazy but noticed that Foxi prefered a soft plush squeeky toy verses the rubbery type but every puppy is differant. Now at 6 months, she'll play with all of them. I use a small to medium pet taxi(which is where she sleeps to this day) when we are home I kept her contained in an area in my kitchen and never left her there unattended!!! You have to watch your puppy close so you can start the potty training process!!! I made sure to take her out to potty every 2 hours or so. There will be those accidents but dont be discouraged, be consistant. Once my corgi got to be about 16 weeks I began to allow her to come into the living room but still kept a very close eye on her and the potty training actually became alot easier. Just be consistant!!! I'm sure that you've learned that through your research. Be patient and enjoy your new addition!! Let me know how it goes!!!
good luck
take care
Robin
Congratulations to you, new Corgi owner! Charlie is my first Corgi too, and you are in for a delight.

If you want to buy one crate for life, a 36" crate will be more than enough. A 32" is enough for most Corgis, but if she ends up oversized (or is a Cardigan) the 36" is a safe bet. I used old towels as bedding, as they are easy to throw in the wash if there's an accident.

Ask your breeder what brand of food the pup is on and buy one small bag of that. If you're not crazy about the food choice, you can switch to your preference at the end of the first bag of the breeder's brand. Stainless steel food bowls are the easiest to clean, unbreakable, and don't harbor germs.

The pup should have a soft toy, a ball, a hard rubber toy (like Kong), and a chew toy (like Nylabone puppy), and maybe a rope toy. Charlie's favorite was a soft latex squeeky dinosaur. Lots of different textures will help keep her chewing of "good things" instead of on you, your furniture, shoes, etc. Puppy Milk Bones are also good for chewing and cleaning her teeth.

Dog brush and/or comb, a tube of dog toothpaste, and nail clippers, shampoo can be bought now or during her first week with you. You will want to get her used to being touched and groomed while she's young so she learns to enjoy it.

You really don't need much more than that and your love to get started. After you get her, you can buy her first puppy collar, lightweight lead, better bedding and other "puppy gear" as needed.

Congratulations on the new addition. Look forward to pictures and many new puppy stories!
Thanks so much for the advice from both Robin and Charlie I am really excited to get her here! This is all new just unsure about all of the stuff out there it is a little overwhelming! But thanks again for the advice it is really helpful and I will post pics as soon as I have some. Still debating over a name I guess it is pretty important to get that done. Thanks again.
I never name a pet until I have it and get a feel for personality. Charlie's breeder was a 60 mile drive away. On the way home, he started barking non-stop and I started calling him "Charlie" just to try to calm him down without calling him "Hey you, dog". It was my intent to rename him within 3 days to something more creative that I had put more thought into. After 3 days though, he seemed to be answering to Charlie. It just kind of stuck. I told my dad that I need to come up with a better story about Charlie's name than, "I couldn't think of anything creative." LOL

Anyway, naming is so much fun. I love the Welsh named dogs that many Corgi lovers choose. Here's a site with hundreds of Welsh baby girl names and meanings (if you have time and don't already have another name in mind). I know it's a really personal decision.
http://www.babyhold.com/list/Welsh_Baby_Names/girls/
I admire the Welsh names but I never know how to pronouce them!
Congratulations! Welcome to the world of corgis!
It's okay. Don't get confused. Just start off with the basics: collar, leash, food and water bowls, puppy chow, and a crate. Will the puppy be arriving in a crate? Just use that one for the puppy to sleep in at night. Sleeping in a crate at night will make her feel safe and help in housebreaking since most dogs don't want to soil their "den". She will be lonely the first few nights away from her mom and the other puppies and may cry a lot at night. A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and a ticking clock often help puppies settle.
The breeder will probably send info on what the puppy has been eating (often moistened puppy crunchies) and how much to give and how often. Take the puppy out frequently: first thing in the morning and after you feed her are especially important. She may or may not have been on a leash before. Rather than tug on the leash to make her follow you just call her and encourage her and she should keep right with you.
Corgis learn fast so decide what your rules are and stick to them. Will the dog be allowed on the furniture when she's full grown? If not, don't let the puppy get on now. A lot of things that are cute in a puppy - jumping up on you, biting at your pants leg, chewing on your shoes, pulling on the leash - will not be cute for long. She will also be very mouthy, so have some chew toys. Because corgis are heelers they can be nippy so don't allow that.
It's not too early to teach her to sit and stay while you get her food ready, and when you put her bowl down be sure she stays until you release her from the stay. Stay is an important command to learn! Find out about puppy training classes in your area. My corgis all had their basic obedience commands down by the time they were three or four months old. Some breeds (like labs) will take 6-9 months or more so some of the puppies in the class might be big. Don't worry: your corgi can take care of herself. They're bred to herd cattle!
Corgi puppies are just adorable! Ask us any time you have questions. We all love to talk corgis. Enjoy!
Cynthia
Congrats and Welcome! Other products that I would recommend are:

Furminator - it is the best and only grooming tool you'll ever need. you can get one for under $20 from the online store on your right. (Online Store)

Hydrogen Peroxide - $0.96 a bottle and I keep 6 at all times. Soak up the urine with paper towels until fully dry, then pour HP generously on top.

Poopy bags - no one likes poop in their yard, be responsible and pick up after your pup.

Kong - it's the only dog toy that could possibly survive a nuclear bomb (Online Store)

ID Tag - Just in case your dog decided to be an extra on "Lost" or "Prison Break"

luxury items:

Roomba 500 series - you can thank me later, watch my review video on this site (Online Store)

Dyson for animals - it's a little pricey, put it on your wish list (Online Store)

Bissell Little Green - best spot cleaning machine ever, make sure you get the heat model (Online Store)
CharlieBear treats. Dyson vacuum. Harness and leash. Safe crate. Plush toys with squeekers. Lint rolller. Merrick Dog Food. Precise Puppy food.
If you have not found a veterinarian this would be a great time to do that. Also take time to find the a good emergency vet in your area. It wont be long before your pup will need more vaccines in their puppy series. Good idea to organize a file. Here you will keep the paperwork your puppy arrived with, all veterinary records and any important information regarding your pup. You may talk to your vet about microchipping your pup. This is an invaluable tool should your pup get lost.
Regarding crates I would think a 36 far too large for most corgis. Do remember as pups if they have lots of extra space they will use it to eliminate. If you opt for a larger one see if you can find one that has a separating panel that you can use while the pup is small and remove when she becomes full grown.
Time to take a good look around your home for safety hazards for a pup. They love chewing on items that are available. Power cords are a favorite for many. Check for house plants that may be poisonious. If you have a fenced yard check your fence line....curious pups may find an opening that you didnt know existed.
If you are looking for a good general corgi book I think my favorite is from the Howell Best of Breed Series, The Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Family Farmhand and Friend by Susan Ewing. Not easily found in regular bookstores but I believe Amazon carries it. It is well written, has lovely photos and offers the best general information about corgis. Best of luck with your new pup.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service