How many people have 'old' Corgis? What do you do to help them stay healthy? Any ideas that you can pass along?

My two guys, Devo and Ruby, are officially geriatric dogs, and they have slowed down a bit but still look great and have plenty of energy. Devo was diagnosed about about three years of age with hip dysplasia, and ever since then, I've been fanatical about feeling them well and keeping them trim (I was before that, actually...) I've been lucky enough to have dog walkers to take them out every day and I think that may contribute to their good health (no boredom, no long stretches without potty breaks, etc.) And I have also been cooking for them for about six months now with great results for their coats and energy levels. They get Pets Alive food supplement and Ester C in their food, and an occasional dose of cod liver oil.

I did start Devo on Rimadyl about six weeks ago and he seems much more comfortable. He was really stiff in the morning and walked v-e-r-y slowly. What experience have you had with Rimadyl? There are lots of bad stories about it on the Internet so I've resisted it for a while, but he seems to be tolerating it well.

Okay, looking forward to hearing what others find works for their darlings!

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Augie had a terrible experience with Rimadyl. He threw up, and had terrible gas. He tore his ACL in his rear leg last spring, and was very lame. The vet switched him to Tramadyl, and he did much better. The vet also said he could take a regular aspirin every day, if needed for stiffness. He has recovered without surgery, and done very well. Augie will be 7 in March, don't know if that qualifies him as geraitric yet. I think Charlotte, the cats, and the general busy household keep him young. He still loves to be chased.
I have several seniors in my home. Sounds like you are on the right track about giving the care they need for optimum health. I do have my seniors on a glucosomine/MSM supplement which I do thinks helps the stiffness in the joints. My rescue boy has severe arthritis and we have recently started the adequan injections with him. I see a great relief in his mobility. Frequent rimidyl can contribute to stomach upset. Many folks are choosing to use metacam as an alternative. It is supposed to be much easier on the stomach but a bit tougher on the pocket book. It may be great to talk to your vet about some of these options to help Devo live a more comfortable life. Good luck!
Thanks for your observations. I'll remember the Metacam when we go in next. Right now I am crushing up Devo's Rimadyl and mixing it with his food and he has had zero tummy problems so far. He usually has a very reactive stomach so I'm keeping an eye on him. We also got Tramadol for days when he exhibits more pain than normal (this started as a twisted shoulder) and he tolerates that well, too.

Glad to hear Augie recovered from his ACL tear.

I also give both dogs glucosamine and chondroitin daily and that seems to be helpful. The vet said rimadyl and glucosamine is the standard treatment combination. I buy mine at the health food store in capsules and sprinkle it on their food and they tolerate that very well.
Regular visits to the chiropractor help also.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service