Foxi sometimes throws up this foamy looking liquid and it smells sour. It usually happens during the day while she is in her kennel. It hasnt happened alot but it is always that same foamy liquid with the same nasty sour smell. It seems like the smell sticks with her even after I bathe her to get rid of the puke from her coat. Does anyone know about or experience this with their Corgi?

Views: 74

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure this is the same thing, but I have heard of several Corgis who throw up water/foam usually first thing in the morning after sleeping all night. The owners started giving their dog a bisquit or treat right before bed to absorb excess stomach acid, and it seems to have worked for most everyone.

I would call your vet to see if you need to take her in for a check, but if they think it may just be something like an acid reflux, you may want to adjust her feeding schedule.
Yeah I thought it might be from having an empty stomach or something. She is on a schedule, 2 times a day, once in the morn and then again at supper. And of course there are those treats in between. Maybe I should give her a little extra in the morning to get her throught the majority of the day. The throwing up usually happens during the day. She is in her kennel while I'm at work. Maybe its too long for her to be in there? (8a-4p) Her pottying is great but maybe her tummy needs more.
I would probably keep her on the 2x day feeding schedule since she is in her crate so much of the time, and you've got her on a good potty training schedule. You might consider one of the battery-operated feeding bowls. You set a timer and the lid pops open at that time. You could put a couple of dog bisquits or a little bit of kibble there and have it open around noon or early afternoon. They even make a product called KongTime that will dispense 4 stuffed Kong Toys on the schedule you set up.
Yes, my Simon had this problem. It's related to the "sensitive stomach" issue. Look at that thread for more of my thoughts on good food for Corgis.

I've found that the cure for this empty stomach/foamy vomit issue with Simon is to always keep a little something in his stomach. He gets fed twice a day, once in the morning, approximately 1 cup, and again in the evening, plus a couple of small snacks in between each feeding (carrots or a cookie), and a cookie or a small sprinkle of kibble before bed. He's very active, so you're Corgi may require less, or more. How much do you feed her? How often? The main thing I recommend against is feeding only once a day, which is a common thing people do with dogs (including me before I knew better). That can definitely irritate a sensitive stomach even more if it's mostly empty all the time. Just like with people, small meals throughout the day are better than one big one. If you only have one dog, you might consider "free feeding" (letting her eat whatever she wants whenever she wants) but it depends on whether or not she is inclined to gorge herself, and it can make the poop schedule irregular and difficult to prevent accidents in the house. Only recommended if it really works for you and your Corgi. :-)

Check with your vet to be safe and rule out anything else, but basically, this seems to be an acidic stomach/empty stomach issue as far as I have determined. It's interesting to realize that this is somewhat common with Corgis. Not sure why. I wonder if its the same with some other breeds...?

It is essential to get on top of the problem tho', because if Roxie's issue is like Simon's was, then she probably also has somewhat runny poop on day's she vomits, and that's not good. You want a nice healthy digestive system that works smoothly.

Let me know if any of this helps!
Thanks to all for the very helpful advice. I will try some of the suggestions and keep you all posted on the outcome. I guess it just makes me feel bad for her and want to make sure she's a healthy happy puppy as I love her dearly!!! She is an awesome pet and has been a great addition to my life as well as the rest of my family. I'm sure all of you know exactly where I'm coming from!! Thanks again!!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service